ubuntu 11.04 root password from Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dong-HuaC, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dong-HuaC

Dong-HuaC Bit poster

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 from PD7 (automatically installed after downloading). The root password is required to update the Parallels tools. What is the default root password for Ubuntu in PD7?
    I searched online and some people said it's 123, but did not work. Please help.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Try the word parallels

3. Dong-HuaC

Dong-HuaC Bit poster

I also tried parallels, but no success.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

if you are in the user parallels
    parallels for logon
    parallels for password
    unless you changed yours during installation or added another account (if you added another account exit out of that account and sign in under parallels change your password in terminal there)
    it should be parallels because parallels is the default admin account

5. Dong-HuaC

Dong-HuaC Bit poster

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
    I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 again. It directed me immediately to the login page after downloading and unarchiving. Then I changed the password (not root password) for parallels account. I tried su to log in as root, but the password (parallels) and the one I made did not work. However, I did update the parallels tools with "sudo ./install" command (no quote) and the password I made in the mounted CD/DVD directory.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

if you can log into the admin parallels account (you should be able to type parallels) using parallels as the password also,
    once in the vm go to terminal to change your pass word type passwd it will ask for your password enter parallels you will be ask to enter your new password 2 times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. GeoffreyS

GeoffreyS Bit poster

I'm running into a similar issue, but I very specifically need the Root password.

I have an external hard drive that is a backup of a Linux device. The drive is formatted in ext3, and all of the files and folders on the device are owned by root. In order to browse the contents of the drive, I need to mount the drive on a Linux machine (done, using the Ubuntu VM), and then change the permissions on the drive... but because they are all owned by Root, I can't seem to change them unless I am logged in as Root myself, or at least upgraded to su status.

Will using the Parallels account let me change the permissions on the drive, or do I need to log in as root to do so? If the latter, I will need the actual root password, not just the Parallels account password.

8. Dong-HuaC

Dong-HuaC Bit poster

If you are using Ubuntu under DP7, my impression is you can use "sudo" (no quote) before your regular linux command line. For example, to install Parallels Tools under root, I did the following:
    sudo ./install
    Hope this helps

9. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

sudo

Thanks, it's good answer.

More information about super user in Ubuntu is described in Ubuntu documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

10. Julusp

Julusp Junior Member

root access

Just to clarify things:

Run <command> as root:
    sudo <command>

Switch to root environment (same as sudo su - ):
    sudo -i

Switch to root shell using current user environment (same as sudo su):
    sudo -s

Enabling root account (direct root login):
    sudo passwd root

Disabling root account:
    sudo passwd -dl root

11. Skyfox

Skyfox Bit poster

I'm on my last wire right now, I've been trying to get Steam onto Ubuntu for hours on end, with small baby steps all the way through. I have tried countless passwords to be allowed to download Steam, and I cannot get it to work. I have found myself screaming at my Mac over and over because I have tried everything that the internet has given me. I don't know what to do.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Don't double post, and although I can understand frustration, describing it here doesn't add any value for encountering a solution.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password

I have no idea what you searched for on the internet, but you should've searched for:
    reset ubuntu root password

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  13. jaxx0rr

jaxx0rr Bit poster

I also have the problem that I dont know the root password..

I have Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0.9 logged in with SSH and I need to install Java
    when I type

:~$ apt-get install default-jdk
    I get
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

then I try
    :/$ sudo apt-get install default-jdk
    I get
    :/$ -bash: sudo: command not found

then I try
    su
    it asks for pass
    tried as passwords: ssh password, ssh username, parallels .. nothing works

o_O

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No, you don't have the same problem, this thread does not deal with your problem.
    This is not the Parallels Plesk Panel forum, this the Parallels Desktop forum.
    However you have the same issue as the last poster that I replied to, and that is of posting in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  15. sambarakat

sambarakat Bit poster

Found It

1. Just use the UserName and PassWord you entered when setup Ubuntu on Parallels.
    2. Type this command to shutdown "sudo shutdown 0".
    3. It will take you to "root@ubuntu:~#" prompt.
    4. Use "passwd" command to change root password.

Hope this works for you to.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  16. JeradR1

JeradR1 Bit poster

i am trying to become a superuser on 16.04, i type "su" get prompted for password i tired the owner of the OS and "paralles".
    Is there something that i am missing?

17. Thank you for sharing this!

18. JorgeB1

JorgeB1 Bit poster

19. KobA1

KobA1 Bit poster

Hi everyone,
    I had exact the same issue with ubuntu 18.04 on PD 14.
    The only command that helped me was: "sudo passwd root"
    I could just easily change the password for the root.

Attached Files:

20. AlexS22

AlexS22 Bit poster

Login : Parallels
    Password : Parallels