FreeBSD 8.x IPv6 under Lion+Parallels 6 broken

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by aphor, Sep 20, 2011.

1. aphor

aphor Bit poster

Since I upgraded to Lion something weird is happening to TCP6 traffic between my MacOS host and FreeBSD 8.x guests. I have a router providing and advertising a /64 from tunnelbroker.net, and IPv6 NDP/stateless auto configuration is working for most VMs and other hosts on the LAN. RedHat and Ubuntu VMs can connect painlessly to daemons running on my Mac OS host, but the FreeBSD VMs can only ping: tcp handshake on IPv6 never completes though the guest can see the handshake packets in both directions.

The only clue I have is that TCP checksums are wrong in tcpdump, but apparently that's normal if hardware offloading is computing the checksums because tcpdump is reading the network buffers before the NIC driver can write the checksum. I've tried disabling vlan and hardware checksum offloading with ifconfig options, but those don't seem to make a difference in the tcpdump results or the TCP handshake.

What's strange is that the same VMs *can* communicate painlessly with other IPv6 hosts traversing the real (not virtual bridged) LAN. This makes me suspect a bug in the Parallels bridging implementation, or perhaps in the e1000 emulation.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Have a fix?

2. aphor

aphor Bit poster

I forgot to mention that IPv6 between FreeBSD (and non-FreeBSD) guests is fine. It's only the VM-Guest to VM-Host TCP6 that fails.

FBSD-Guest-A <--> FBSD-Guest-B : Works
    FBSD-Guest-A <--> MacOS-Host : Fails
    FBSD-Guest-B <--> MacOS-Host : Fails
    MacOS-Host <--> FBSD-Guest-A : Fails
    MacOS-Host <--> FBSD-Guest-B : Fails
    MacOS-Host <--> Router : Works
    Router <--> MacOS-Host : Works
    FBSD-Guest-A <--> Router : Works
    FBSD-Guest-B <--> Router : Works
    Router <--> FBSD-Guest-A : Works
    Router <--> FBSD-Guest-B : Works

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, it really could be a bug in the Parallels Desktop 6 while communicating between VM and localhost over IPv6. We've recently fixed some similar issue internally but the fix is not included into any publicly available version.

We'd appreciate if you could check corrected driver. Send me your email address via forum's private messages and I'll send you patched driver if you want to give it a try.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. aphor

aphor Bit poster

The development driver is working (TCP6 connections work as before), and ping6 latency which was ~3ms now goes to zero after the first couple of packets, which seems to be an improvement.

5. Michael Savory

Michael Savory Bit poster

Is this fixed in public release now?

I just updated to
    Build 7.0.15054
    (Revision 722853; December 16, 2011)

And had been trying FreeBSD

Mike

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    yes, this issue should be fixed in this build.

7. JuliaThorne

JuliaThorne Bit poster

Hi! Is your problem solved by this build?Any updates from it?Just want to know. Thanks! [​IMG]