Two (2) finger swipe gesture - back/forward

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Hojbjerg, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Hojbjerg

Hojbjerg Bit poster

I cannot figure out how to make two finger swipe on the magic trackpad trigger back/forward in my VM browser.

Currently, I have Chrome and Safari in OSX Lion going back/forward with a two finger swipe, but it does not work in the Windows VM.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. JustinWon

JustinWon Bit poster

Used to work with Snow Leopard, but not with Lion

Any plans to address this guys?

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Works fine for me on my MBP. Is this a Magic Trackpad-only issue? Maybe you have to allow the VM to capture the device somehow.

Steve

4. strells

strells Product Expert

Actually, it's 3 fingers to go back and forth in a browser, not 2 fingers.

Steve

5. Hojbjerg

Hojbjerg Bit poster

I have my Magic pad configured for 2 finger swipe between pages (page back / forward) and 3 finger swipe to go between full screen apps (see attached).

It works great in OSX Lion, but the 2 finger swipe does a horizontal scroll of a window in my Win7 VM rather than a back/forward.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  6. YanaYana

YanaYana

Here is the instruction how to enable gestures in virtual machine:

Documentation

7. Hojbjerg

Hojbjerg Bit poster

I read the documentation. I already have gestures enabled and I also have Apple remote enabled.

The key difference is that I have Lion configured to use two figer swipe as page back/forward and three finger swipe configured for switching between full screen apps (see previous attachment). With this configuration, Parallels does not pass the two finger swipe to the VM.

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

What about default settings? they temporary to put settings back to default and check if trackpad works in Windows.

That put the settings back and submit the Problem report from Help menu --> Report a problem.

Please remember Problem report ID and post it here.

9. MattHead

MattHead Bit poster

Submitted the bug report...

Here's the Case Support Number:

My swiping fingers are crossed!

10. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

How about a fix Parallels? It just simply doesn't work. And really, the only thing not working is the "back" and "forward" swiping. C'mon, guys! If you can make all the other gestures work, why not the back and forward, too.

Knock, knock... anyone home? The last post here is in March 14.

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

12. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

Still not fixed in Parallels 8

Sadly, this is still not fixed even in Parallels 8. Very disappointing!

13. Volker

Volker Bit poster

50 bucks for a fix

At this point this would be the only reason for me to upgrade from P7.

14. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

Volker -- they did not fix it. I don't think they know how. LOL. Save your $50! I wasted mine.

15. Volker

Volker Bit poster

Thanks for the heads-up, Joel. Hello Parallels team, I got the money ready for you... just waiting for that illusive fix.

16. CasonS

CasonS Bit poster

A Workaround

I followed the instructions and I couldn't get this to work using Mountain Lion and Windows 7 as the guest OS.

I ended up using a Mac app called BetterTouchTool that lets you set custom gestures per app. I configured it to recognize two-finger swipes in Parallels Desktop and send an alt-arrow keyboard shortcut for back and forward.

I attached a screenshot of the settings I used. The last gesture in the list is a custom configuration for a three-finger double tap to close the current tab. Just a little something I like.

http://blog.boastr.net

Attached Files:

17. Hojbjerg

Hojbjerg Bit poster

Still not fixed in Parallels Desktop 9.

BetterTouchTool workaround seems to work fine.

18. robert_w

robert_w Bit poster

Still not fixed in Parallels Desktop 9!?

Parallels Team - Any official comment?

thanks in advance

19. Hojbjerg

Hojbjerg Bit poster

Has two finger swipe been fixed in PD10?

20. NathanR2

NathanR2 Bit poster

Nope..... still not fixed. I'm extremely disappointed that this issue has been around for almost four years. I've been resisting my network teams desires for me to switch my team to VMWare Fusion, but one of my guys that left for greener pastures reported that he loves it and has fewer issues. If Parallels doesn't start addressing the quite well documented bugs my team has been experiencing, I may just switch!