Can't UPDATE Parallels tools in Ubuntu and Fedora

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by NicholasK, Sep 28, 2011.

1. NicholasK

NicholasK Bit poster

Hello,

I'm a newcomer to Parallels and this forum, and I've been having some trouble with Linux OS's lately. When I run either Ubuntu or Fedora, I'm told that my Parallels tools are out of date, and that I should upgrade them. Now, it's all fine and dandy up to this point, but when I go to the menu and select Virtual Machine/Upgrade Parallels Tools, and the (fake) disk mounts, I can't install them. When I open the contents of the "disk" and select install, and then click run, nothing happens. When I click run in terminal, I get a message in the terminal shell which reads, "Error: you do not have permissions to run this script.
    Please press 'Enter' to exit from Parallels Installer." My first thought was to unlock root access, but so far all of my attempts to do that have been unsuccessful. Similar things happen in Fedora. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm running both Ubuntu 11.04 and Fedora 15 in version 7 (the latest) of Parallels.

Thanks,
    Nicholas.

2. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

The install tools must be installed as superuser. Try entering this in a terminal:

sudo ./install

3. NicholasK

NicholasK Bit poster

Do I do this after entering the terminal command to update the tools? Does the same go for Fedora?

Thanks.

4. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Yes...

1) First mount the tools "disk" by doing Virtual Machine | Install / Reinstall Parallels Tools
    2) Open a terminal window
    3) cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/
    4) sudo ./install
    5) Enter your admin account password

This should work for Ubuntu and Fedora. I currently have a Ubuntu VM on Parallels 7, and I've installed Fedora previously on Parallels 6 (but haven't tried on 7 yet)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. NicholasK

NicholasK Bit poster

Thank you SO much. I'm not kidding, I can't believe how stupid I was. I had all of these things, but I had no idea how to put them all together. Again, thanks a ton.

6. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

You are very welcome. Have fun... Only 15 days until Ubuntu 11.10. :)

7. NicholasK

NicholasK Bit poster

Can't wait!

8. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

With something so relatively simple you would think the "Install/Update Parallels Tools" menu would do this. It would only take mounting the "disk", and running a script that did the "sudo ./install" part, and it would prompt you for your sudo password.

For those of us not versed in Unix/Linux at least this Forum is available.

9. jbaugh

jbaugh Junior Member

Can't update tools in Terminal

I've tried following the instructions for updating the Parallels Tools in Ubuntu.
    Everything goes well until after I enter my password.
    Then "sudo: ./install: command not found" is returned in Terminal.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.
    John

10. dpickett

dpickett Member

I can't install the latest Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 11.10. Attempting sudo ./install gives:

Code:
    ./install: line 528:  3064 Segmentation fault      FLAG_CHECK_ASK="Yes" FLAG_CHECK_GUI="Yes" "$GUI_INSTALLER.$X32"
    edit: this morning it worked.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  11. olyinaz

olyinaz Bit poster

YES! Thank you. I have Ubuntu 12.04 on a Macbook Pro Retina/Mountain Lion/Parallels 7.0.15104, and that worked perfectly. I tried a hundred different close combination NO GOs but thankfully this Google search - and YOU - came to my rescue!!

Thanks again!

Oly

12. chuckdries

chuckdries Bit poster

try this:
    first mount the parallels tools virtual disk by pressing the virtual machine menu then pressing the reinstall paralells tools button. Then
    1. open terminal
    2. type in the word "sudo" without the qoutes, then press the space bar
    3. open the home folder, then click the cd icon that lays parallels tools next to it (its on the left side of the window)
    4. drag the file called install into the terminal window

13. PhillS

PhillS Bit poster

Thanks for this, had the same problem... This solved... Much appreciated and thanks.