Thread: using prlctl to restore a pva scheduled backup

Default using prlctl to restore a pva scheduled backup

I have two questions. We have 3 xserves running Parallels Server for Mac. 2 are production boxes and 1 is a test box. VM3 is production and its VMs are backed up every weekend to a different internal hard drive in the xserve. ("VM3 Backup drive").

I can't seem to use the commandline prlctl to restore a backup from VM3 to our test box on VM2. It keeps returning an error that the backup couldn't be found.

"Make sure that you specified the backup correctly and you have enough rights to access it and try again."

I've tried both of these and both fail:

prlctl restore -s admin@vm3.example.com:/Volumes/VM3\ Backup\ Drive/VM\ Backups -t {25fa3f77-67ea-455e-a04e-8d462172a786} -n "10.6 restore test"

prlctl restore -s admin@vm3.example.com -t {25fa3f77-67ea-455e-a04e-8d462172a786} -n "10.6 restore test"

even running these returns the same error:

sudo prlctl backup-list -s admin@vm3.example.com:/Volumes/VM3\ Backup\ Drive/VM\ Backups
    sudo prlctl backup-list -s admin@vm3.example.com

What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, this VM that I'm trying to restore has a couple of snapshots and I assumed that the backup and the restore would contain the snapshots but it doesn't. It only contains the latest version without the snapshots. Is there a way to get this to backup and restore snapshots also?

Thanks
    Last edited by alternapop; Nov 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alternapop View Post
    I have two questions. We have 3 xserves running Parallels Server for Mac. 2 are production boxes and 1 is a test box. VM3 is production and its VMs are backed up every weekend to a different internal hard drive in the xserve. ("VM3 Backup drive").

I can't seem to use the commandline prlctl to restore a backup from VM3 to our test box on VM2. It keeps returning an error that the backup couldn't be found.

"Make sure that you specified the backup correctly and you have enough rights to access it and try again."

I've tried both of these and both fail:

restore -s admin@vm3.example.com:/Volumes/VM3\ Backup\ Drive/VM\ Backups -t {25fa3f77-67ea-455e-a04e-8d462172a786} -n "10.6 restore test"

restore -s admin@vm3.example.com -t {25fa3f77-67ea-455e-a04e-8d462172a786} -n "10.6 restore test"

even running these returns the same error:

sudo prlctl backup-list -s admin@vm3.example.com:/Volumes/VM3\ Backup\ Drive/VM\ Backups
    sudo prlctl backup-list -s admin@vm3.example.com

What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, this VM that I'm trying to restore has a couple of snapshots and I assumed that the backup and the restore would contain the snapshots but it doesn't. It only contains the latest version without the snapshots. Is there a way to get this to backup and restore snapshots also?

Thanks

hope this will help you

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_consolidated_backup.pdf

I'm sorry but I fail to see how the linked document answers my questions.

Banned

Hi

that pdf explain below points which may help you .

The vcbMounter output file can contain vital information to help narrow the scope of diagnostic investigations.
    You can increase the verbosity level of vcbMounter output for diagnostic purposes by adding the -L 6 parameter to the command line used to back up the virtual machine,
    Last edited by skype-Acuity.satya; Nov 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM.

what does that have to do with the prlctl command? maybe i'm being dense but that is for a different product.

apparently connecting to the remote server as 'root' is required. so change the above command to:

prlctl restore -s root@vm3.example.com