I there any help

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eeimac, Jun 15, 2007.

1. eeimac

eeimac Bit poster

I did changed size of virtual hard disk but on wrong place...

After i see that all info on that virtaul disk is lost

Is ther eany way to bring data back, becuse there where very importatnt files

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Where did you change the size?

3. eeimac

eeimac Bit poster

ON create /recreate main menu.. (2.5) version

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

You recreatred your disk instead of increasing its size... Unfortunately, all data lost completely and cant' be restored.

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

It sounds as though this is too late to help you, but here's my approach to securing my user data:

1. My virtual Windows disk only contains the guest OS and its settings, plus my Windows applications. It contains none of my precious user data. "My Documents" is empty.

2. I use shared folders in my Mac OS X user space to store all my documents created using Windows apps, so even if I lose the whole Windows VM, virtual drive etc. and have to recreate a Windows environment ... even in another virtualization product or on a PC ... I still have my documents. They are not stored within the virtual disk.

3. My normal backup routine creates backup copies of my OS X user folder to an external hard drive, and this includes the shared folders where Parallels/Windows saves documents. So they are also secure against an OS X disk failure.

The other benefit of this approach is that I can access documents using OS X apps if necessary, without even launching Parallels. I use this to get to text and spreadsheet reports from my Windows accounts package, for example.

Maybe someone will tell why me this is not a great idea, but I think it works for me.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It is a good idea and has been recommended in the past as a best practices way to safely use virtual machines. It was especially true during the early days with the beta code but holds true with released code, too. I've done it this way from the beginning with all my virtual OS's except that I don't use (Parallels) shared folders.

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

What is your method?

Thank you,

David

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I deliberately didn't specify how I share, as I don't think it's relevant to the issue in this thread. For this purpose, arms-length Windows/SMB network sharing works as well as Parallels shared folders, and may provide greater isolation between the host and guest OSs.