Feature Request: Suspend Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by simplicity, Jun 20, 2007.

1. simplicity

simplicity Member

Moved from "Windows Guest OS Discussion"

Yes, Yes, I've heard the data corruption argument, but really, if I suspend a Boot Camp VM and reboot into it, it's no worst than turning off the PC (without shutting down) and turning it back on.

Additionally, Vista NTFS is both transactional and journaled, so the chance of corrupting a system file is much smaller.

I think this would be a great option for those of us who regularly use Windows in a VM but occasionally need to native boot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. simplicity

simplicity Member

Just an FYI: VMWare DOES allow you to suspend a Bootcamp VM. It's a hidden option in the machine configuration file. Something similar would be nice in Parallels.

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

So does Parallels, actually. You just need to add the line "Allow suspend BootCamp = 1" after the "DirectX support" line in the pvs file. Be warned however; it is an unstable feature and using it could result in a Boot Camp partition that doesn't boot. More specifically, I have found that an unbootable partition can result if suspend is used with a partition with either Windows Vista or VMWare Tools installed. I would recommend backing up your Boot Camp partition with Winclone before enabling suspend.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007