Second Monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by wycliffe, Jun 21, 2007.

1. wycliffe

wycliffe Member

I am running Parallels 3.0 on a MBP with XP2s as my virtual machine.

Is there a way to enable a second monitor in the VM? Under Display Properties/Settings (where you would normally enable the second monitor in Windows), there is no second monitor found (it is plugged into the MBP) - is this something I need to enable in OSX befor it can be found in windows?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

2. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

To use dual monitors in Parallels, the only way I know of is to be in Coherence mode. XP won't recognize the monitor, Coherence just allows you to set XP to a huge desktop resolution which covers both monitors.

I have an MBP plugged into a 23" cinema display, and dual monitors works great for me with Parallels 3.0.

I was never able to do it with 2.5, because you couldn't allocate more than 16MB video ram to the windows desktop, and it couldn't fill both screens properly. Now I have my virtual machine set to 64MB video ram for the desktop, and it works great. I run Outlook 2007 on my laptop screen while I work in OSX apps on the big screen.

3. wycliffe

wycliffe Member

Thanks. I will give that a shot - I have been running Windows in full screen since some of my programs are memory hogs. I assume in Boot Camp there is no problem enabling a second monitor...

4. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

Correct - I have tested this in BootCamp and it works just as you would expect 2nd monitor setup to work in XP.