OS/2 Warp 3 install & floppy disk XDF format

Discussion in 'Other Guest OS Types Discussion' started by Conrad Kerin, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Conrad Kerin

Conrad Kerin Bit poster

I've searched through the forums and can find nothing that seems to help me.

I am running Windows XP as the Host OS and I am trying to install OS/2 Warp 3 as the Guest OS. I am using PVM v2.2 Build 2112. I only have floppy disks, no CD, for OS/2. I know there is a complexity with the install disks as apart from the first two disks, they are all formatted to 1.8MB using something called XDF (eXtended Density Format). Windows can not directly read these but I've managed to copy the content of the floppies to the Windows hard disk. I have then tried to create image files that PVM will be able to read.

I've created a Guest OS and started the install. The first two floppy disk images work fine (they are standard format). However when I get to the third floppy disk image I get the error message "Floppy 1: Unable to connect. Cannot open 'C:\disk2.fdd': Invalid floppy disk image".

I think my problem is that I am creating image files that are bigger (i.e. 1840kB) than a standard floppy disk (i.e. 1.44MB). I create the image files with WinImage v8.10.8100. However it does not matter what format I create the floppies in, or extension I give the image (I've tried fdd, img, ima, vfd) - I still get the error message.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. MennoJoshua

MennoJoshua Bit poster

I could not find any way to make Parallels understand anything except a 720kB or 1.44MB floppy image.

The solution is to install everything from CD.