Prognosis of Parallels.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Danorske, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Danorske

Danorske Member

Has there been any update to Workstation? Is there a view of the end of the tunnel? Yea I know, we are still in 2007 but the end is on it's way.

Looking for a little good news.

Ron

2. jruschme

jruschme Member

Recap of previous messages

Don't expect to hear anything about a new version until it is definately announced. Parallels appears to have a specific policy of "no wine before its time" (quoting the old commercial. Summarizing a few old posts, though...

Back on June 6, spectre wrote:
    Then on June 23, Andrew@Parallels stated the following:
    On July 9, Ynot "clarified" that statement with the following:
    Which spectre further clarified by stating on July 11:
    and:
    (Astute readers may note that at this point we are two months into "soon".)

Perhaps the most honest answer came later that day from Ben@Parallels:
    This probably best sums up the situation. We have a small company which must divide its efforts between its current Mac desktop product (gotta beat Fusion!), an announced Server product, and an as-yet-to-be-announced Win/Lin workstation/desktop product. PWS 2.2 probably doesn't rate major efforts as the goal is to get everyone on 3.X, anyway and they can't get the Win/Lin users onto 3.X until after Server ships. (Has anyone seen a scheduled date for Parallels Server?) Asking for more details is a waste of time.

In some small defense of Parallels, they have release the official patch to allow the existing (11 month old) build of PWS to install under Linux 2.6.22, but have not yet released the promised 2.2 mega update.

FYI, all the quotes above come from three threads: Losing senior Workstation users. Where to now?, Neglected Step-Child, and Will Any NEW version of Linux Install as Guest?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  3. Roaster

Roaster Member

Perfect jruschme!

I couldn't have summed up this better. Currently VirtualBox 1.5 is my favorite and I'm also running VirtualPC 2007 of course both do not have some long before announced features of PWS but both are free in any case.

I guess the market for a Windows version has gone long before as too many competitors are already in that place. So Parallels must focus on a part of the virtualization market which is not too overflowed so far.

I like this sentence most. If this is true, why didn't we get any beta of PWS so far?

4. emptee

emptee Bit poster

@Roaster: ACK.

I'm moving to Virtual Box 1.5 just at the moment...

RIP, Parallels.

ciao, Mario

5. jruschme

jruschme Member

As I've said in other posts, I think VirtualBox ma be the biggest threat to Parallels. Comparing VB 1.5 to PWS 2.2, it's probably fair to say that VB is a more than capable replacement with the fact that it is free being gravy. (Never mind the fact that VB 1.5 introduces "seamless" windows to the Win/Lin world.) If VB can deliver 3D, then it may well be game over.

As for VPC, it is, in many ways, a dated product (e.g., no USB support), but is probably the best environment (even better than VMware) for running very old OS's such as Win 3.1 and MS-DOS because its video and sound emulations are of period-specific hardware as opposed to more modern hardware such as AC'97 soundcards.

One more thought about the current state of Parallels... In my original post, I failed to mention the lawsuit brought by Netsys against Parallels' German distributor. Rather than repeat the details, I'll just refer you the article in Virtual Strategy Magazine: Virtualization's Dirty Laundry Aired in German Court Room.

I just looked on Google, but can't find any updates on the status/resolution of the lawsuit, other than this brief response from SWSoft.

6. Roaster

Roaster Member

Yes, indeed, I know this story, too - I'm from Germany, btw. Sounds like Parallels has got some serious problems with its former development partners.

And yes, VirtualBox 1.5 introduced seamless window support - however couldn't get this running on my WideScreen, even after increasing the video memory to about 32 meg. Perhaps I need to do a little bit more research and try again.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  7. dleuen

dleuen Bit poster

Parallels ditched all their Linux and Windows customers to try to compete in the Mac market. After an initial splash, it looks like the Mac folks are not happy with Parallels either and Fusion is a much better alternative (see comments on digg.com). So with no loyalty to and from its customers, it is just a matter of time before these pages go to some domain squatting page and they are out of business. And it can't happen too soon as far as I'm concerned. I can't think of any other company that has disappointed me in such a big way.

8. Roaster

Roaster Member

I'm afraid this will happen in the near future - unfortunately I gave my money away for a promising product with no future from what I see, read and hear :-(

9. jruschme

jruschme Member

This is one of the things I've found vaguely funny/disturbing about the whole situation. The Win/Lin users feel abandoned by an apparent emphasis on the Mac product. Meanwhile, the Mac users don't seem all that much happier.

I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky, in a way. By the time Parallels has the "unified" 3.X codebase in place to support a PWS upgrade, all the real bugs should have been worked out. Perhaps we should thank the PD users for being our alpha testers. :)

FYI, according to Wired News, Parallels Server is supposed to be a "few weeks" (is that more or less than "very soon"?) away from a beta release. Parallels is at VMworld this week demoing Parallels Server alpha and the latest PD 3.0. None of the writeups I've seen mentions any PWS update. In the Wired News article, Server is referred to as being "multi-platform", so perhaps something is coming of the unified codebase.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  10. Jay Levitt

Jay Levitt Member

@jruschme: "very soon" is slightly less than a Friedman Unit.

11. jruschme

jruschme Member

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

There's nothing new that VMWare doesn't already have.

And still a number of things not available, that are currently available in VMWare.

13. Roaster

Roaster Member

I really can't say that I'm amazed! Yes, of course, it shows good will from Parallels but nothing new as constant said.
    So still waiting for the big bang version 3 of Workstation.

14. jruschme

jruschme Member

I think the new release has to be taken with the caveat that it is, unfortunately, a maintenance release to what is essentially a "last generation" product that has been largely eclipsed by both commercial and open source alternatives.

Personally, I'm glad to see Parallels finally release this update- over 3 months since its first mention and only one day shy of the start of fall (was it already Fall in Ynot's part of the world?) was really a long time to have to wait.

My big disappointment, though, was that the announcement was not made during VMworld- preferably as part of the PD and PS announcements. I think it would have made a bigger impact and have been a greater reaffirmation of the importance of the Linux/Windows users. (I'm sure the official reason is that the update wasn't ready yet, though I have trouble believing that, at this stage, the extra 10 days made that big a difference in the development/testing process.)

From Ben's announcement, it looks like we'll get our first hands-on with the 3.x architecture when Server goes public in a few weeks. I doubt, though, that that release will support 3-D or Coherence as neither is a necessary feature in a server environment.

Previous posts have indicated that we should expect a PWS release late in the year. Personally, I'm confused as to how that can happen given that there is only a little over a quarter left in the year and PS has not even entered Beta yet. Based on what appears to be policy, we won't see a PWS 3.x announcement until near or even after the PS release date and probably will not see a PWS beta (let alone release until early in the new year). I hope I'm wrong, though...

We can only hope that most of the up front development needed for PWS 3.x will have already occurred as part of the creation of the unified codebase and the porting of PS to Win/Lin.

The killer will probably be the "pile of new features" (i.e., the "new, never before seen stuff") mentioned by both Ben and Andrew that will move PWS 3.x out beyond even PD. Anybody have a clue as to what these might be? They sound, though, like the sort of things that could make for a long Alpha and an even longer Beta period.

15. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

16. jruschme

jruschme Member

A bit more about Parallels Server in InfoWorld.

One thing I don't get... is the next Win/Lin product also going to be Parallels Desktop or Parallels Workstation?

John

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

jruschme,
    Unified Parallels Desktop will be available for all 3 platforms Win, Lin and Mac.

18. jruschme

jruschme Member

Thanks for the clarification... so will PD ultimately replace PWS for Win/Lin or is there some plan for a multi-tier approach similar to VMware (i.e., Desktop for end users, Workstation for VM developers, and Server for... servers :) with various feature tradeoffs?

John

19. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

In the first release it will be replaced ultimately. In the future... we will see.

20. fromans

fromans Member

Andrew, when are we going to see an actual update to Workstation, not just a maintenance release? The best words to describe Parallels at this point range from "disappointing" to "fail". A paranoid person might easily believe that there is no actual update pending, and that this maintenance release was something to keep people interested until the server edition comes out. However, even a rational person would be skeptical about the future of Parallels given the lack of any major upgrade for nearly one year. Especially when compared to the packages being offered by other competitors. The Infoworld article suggests that more features "should also appear in the next major version of the desktop edition, due in the first half of next year". How many people do you expect to still be using Parallels after nearly 18 months of almost no visible development?