Update: Parallels Workstation 2.2 Build 2204 is available

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Andrew @ Parallels, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Dear Users,

Parallels Workstation 2.2 Build 2204 is available for download:
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download/workstation/

== What's New in Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Windows and Linux (Build 2204) ==

* Linux guest OS tools - smooth mouse transition between most popular Linux guest OSes and Windows and Linux primary OSes.
    * New guest OS type support (Ubuntu) - added
    * "Check for disk format" warning - is displayed if VM hard disk image is not formatted
    * Installation on new Linux kernels (2.6.20, 2.6.22) - Parallels is now installed correctly on new Linux kernels
    * AMD-V support - significantly improved

== Bugfixes and improvements in Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Windows and Linux (Build 2204) ==

* VT-x support - problems with some exe-packer programs fixed
    * Shared Folders - problem with file name translation fixed
    * Network support - network support for Windows Vista primary OS improved
    * Windows Vista guest OS in Sleep mode - problem with putting Windows Vista guest OS into Sleep mode fixed
    * Xandros one-click installation failure - fixed
    In addition, many other bugs were fixed.

== Known issues ==

* USB devices cannot be connected to Parallels Workstation virtual machines in Linux primary OS if PW was launched from a non-root user
    * Time synchronization tool doesn't work in Windows Vista guest OS
    * In some Linux primary OSes the volume control is disabled when Parallels Workstation is running
    * On Fedora 7 primary OS the /dev/sg? read permission for the current user should be set manually to let Parallels Workstation connect the real CD/DVD-ROM

PS: Please check Ben's post on official blog about Parallels Workstation roadmap too - http://parallelsvirtualization.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-update-forwait-for-itparallels.html

2. ogeorgi

ogeorgi Bit poster

Sorry, but this release is a joke, isn't it?

Windows Vista is available since more than 6 months and Parallels Workstation still does not work under Vista on machines having 4GB of RAM.

Support: None! Forget it! None of my ticket was handled or answered!

I want to get back my money for such non-working and un-supported product. My recommendation: VirtualPC 2007! If you can - use this!

Oliver

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

This is minor update and doesn't address 4G RAM limitation.

4G RAM issue is addressed in new generation unified desktop product which is being developed for Windows, Linux and Mac simultaniosly.

4. Vigilant

Vigilant Member

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Even the Mac version of the product is lacking in support. They just shipped out the new version of Parallels Desktop with bugs in it that are work stoppage issues if you code in Visual Studio.

Parallels, and SWSoft is more interested in trying to keep up with VMWare then supporting their existing users.

Virtual PC 2007 on Windows, by the way, is an absolutely excellent virtualization program. Though, I must admit, VMWare Player seems to run more responsively for me. Use VMWare Server which is a free download to setup the VMWare disk image, then use VMWare Player to use it. You will have to uninstall VMWare Server before VMWare Player will run, but when it's all up and running, it works great.

5. jruschme

jruschme Member

Huh? Maybe if you're using a Windows host, don't need USB support, and are running a guest which expects deprecated hardware (S3 Virge video, for instance). I'll admit I keep it installed for the odd Microsoft "appliance", but that's about it.

There are some online resources and at least one Windows-based tool to create VMware VM's for use by VMware Player, so you can actually skip installing VMware Server or a VMware Workstation eval.

But, again, don't underestimate VirtualBox as an alternative.

(Note to forum admins: Any chance of getting a separate discussion area dedicated to virtualization, in general and with tolerance foir discussing competing solutions?)

6. Vigilant

Vigilant Member

I had completely forgotten about VirtualBox. I created my current Windows XP setup using VMWare Server then switched to Player on my work computer at work to avoid the cat and mouse software approval drama in getting virutalization for work approved.

7. rs37

rs37 Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

8. rs37

rs37 Member

== Known issues ==

* USB devices cannot be connected to Parallels Workstation virtual machines in Linux primary OS if PW was launched from a non-root user

************************************************************************************

That is not true. I have a Windows XP guest under Mandriva Spring host logged as a normal usesr and can connect a USB wireless keyboard to the guest with the appropriate proprietary drivers of the keyboard installed in XP.

In fact, that is the only way to have all the keys of the Brazilian ABNT2 keyboard (the " ? / ° " key in particular) available for XP guest.The problem is the fact that keyboard stay locked by XP. It stays unavailable to Mandriva host until desconnect the module, "Mosart" in this case, from Parallels USB.

9. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

So WHEN will this big universal binary be out Andrew?!?!?!?

Andrew,

You invited the question by mentioning it. When will this universal binary for Windows/Linux/OSX come out? Mac has been on v3 for some time now while Windows and Linux are stuck on v2.2.

There are some great features in v3 for Mac (concurence, USB2.0 support, etc.) that I think would be nice to see in the Desktop version. Are we going to have to wait for this new product you mentioned before we get that?

And when it does come out are we going to have to pay nearly as much as we did when we bought Parallels to begin with?

Robert

10. cethomas

cethomas Bit poster

Steady Improvements

We appreciate the passion around improving Parallels Workstation. No one wants to see us deliver a great product in this space more than we do. I'd like to address both of your concerns because they are somewhat related.

Support
    Historically we had poor support. You have made this very clear both in the forums and in other places. We listened to this feedback and made significant investments in improving the support experience. We've made huge progress in delivering more timely support. These efforts have shown results in the last few months as many customers report a positive support experience. Of course we are not perfect yet, but we aim to continue our steady progress.

Workstation
    Workstation remains a top priority for us. When we release the updated workstation it will be a high quality product that we'll all be proud of. We have a large number of developers and testers dedicated to this effort. It's not yet time to disclose specific release/beta timing but you will hear more from us on workstation as we hit key milestones. We look forward to your active participation in the beta process.

Many Thanks,

Corey
    VP of Product Management & Marketing

11. tonyric

tonyric Bit poster

I will believe it when I see it Corey. It has been over a year since the last update (not patch, an actual update) to the Linux product and SO much longer since a feature update. We still have no linux guest tools, etc. This and the Windows product funded the initial MAC release and you have lost so many customers to far superior products (Virtualbox and VMWare Workstation) that it isn't even funny. Parallels used to be a great product and I would love to see Coherence on Linux (as VMware is working on by combining Fusion with the workstation code). But, I just cannot believe what any Parallels representative states because we have been promised updated code for so long.

I am a UNIX engineer by trade and have influence over the purchase of virtualization products within the Division that I work for. Therefore, I would welcome the arrival of new code.

Tony

12. Roaster

Roaster Member

tonyric,

just forget Paralells with Windows and Linux. We have complaint several times over several months now and nothing happened so far. Currently I'm using VirtualBox 1.51 on a Suse Linux 10.3 which is free and works perfectly for my requirements.
    I also use VB 1.51 on Windows XP which runs perfectly, too.

As a conclusion do not wait for Parallels to release any new version anytime soon and expect a high upgrade price if it has been released.

13. tonyric

tonyric Bit poster

I already have, I am a VMWare workstation user, and use Virtualbox for OS/2 clients. But, I pop in here from time to time to see if anything has changed. It does not appear so. lol

14. Roaster

Roaster Member

Nothing new here indeed, either keep watching this forum for good news which IMO won't appear anytime soon or stay with your chosen products as I did.