Strange delays with FreeBSD and Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Other Guest OS Types Discussion' started by anzido, Oct 21, 2007.

1. anzido

anzido Bit poster

Hi,

a few weeks ago I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p which was pre-installed with Win XP Pro. On that pre-installed machine I tried Parallels and installed a FreeBSD 6.2 as guest OS and was very VERY happy about how easy that was and about the very good performance.

Cause I don't like all the pre-installed garbage on my machines I cleaned up the harddisk and installed Win XP Pro new from the scratch. After I got through all the driver installations finally I got a nice new install without any question marks etc. in the device manager.

BUT: then I installed Paralles again - and set up a VM with FreeBSD 6.2 again. And now I was quite disappointed about the poor performance. Everything is much slower compared to the first installation mentioned above. Especially input from keyboard is very slow - sometimes it takes 2-3 sec. until my input appears on the screen.

Hardware virtualization support is enabled - both in bios and in Parallels.

Today I tested to install another Win XP Pro als VM - which worked fine. But here I also have some trouble with the speed of user input and graphic performance. It seems as if again and again everything is sleeping for 1 or 2 seconds.

Does anybody have any idea what might cause these delays? I would very much appreciate any helping hints!

Thx in advance!
    anzido

2. anzido

anzido Bit poster

Additional Info:

Now I tried to install Parallels and a FreeBSD VM on my workstation (not on my notebook) - and there everything is fine. So my above mentioned problems should have to do with my thinkpad install.

So again: does anybody have an idea what could be wrong with my notebook-install?

thx
    anzido