USB Audio Class 2.0 device support in parallels windows on mac?

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by qusp11, Oct 22, 2011.

1. qusp11

qusp11 Bit poster

Hi there, first post here guys and gals (do you have gals here? hehe) i'm looking for a pretty straight forward answer that will either mean buying parallels, or deeming it useless for my current purposes. I read the brief, searched the site but haven't been able to find any answers to my questions, my apologies if i just haven't got the right searching Fu.

I run a Mac Mini 2011 (8gb ram, 2TBHD and 128gb Crucial M4 SSD) for my sometimes web browser, but mostly media centre with iPad remote. I work in audio, and i have a prototype multichannel USB->i2s (PCM) convertor which is USB Audio Class 2 compliant and puts out up to 8 x 32bit/192khz (4 x 32bit/384khz) audio. i'm currently just feeding a high end diy 32bit stereo sabre DAC, some balanced headphones and studio monitors. but ive been building a new set of 3 way speakers along with 6 x power amps and DAC channels to drive them. I will be using a digital crossover program with phase accurate driver and room correction called Allocator. unfortunately this excellent software is only available for Windows, although there has been a mac version promised for a couple of years, probably not much drive to do it with programs like parallels around. the other problem is the USB audio device is Native mac only, with no windows driver as yet.

now that you have some background on what i'm trying to do and hopefully are still reading, will i have access to the USB audio hardware in windows virtual machine even though there is no native USB Audio Class 2.0 support? i.e. will the fact that the mac has control of the hardware and does support it enable me to pipe access to this hardware and its outputs from within a program running on the windows virtual machine, or does it need to be supported by windows?

its an unusual situation, i can run the device natively, i can run the software in parallels, but can i do both at the same time? there are other crossover programs, but nothing compares to this rather groundbreaking product, its worth the expense and trouble i'm going to.

thanks for reading, sorry for the long winded post

Jeremy

2. qusp11

qusp11 Bit poster

I also need to note that this is a 100% personal project, i work in audio primarily headphone related audio and this is just for a home system. not much movement here, quite a few views but no reply, not such a great sign for support at this forum as I've noticed quite a lot of threads here that consist of the first post only.

3. qusp11

qusp11 Bit poster

yeah thats what i thought

yeah i thought it might be interesting too, but given i have received no reply here from them, nor a reply to my email request, i dont think i'll be buying the product. For now i'm using the crossover in puremusic and i'm looking at other options, but nothing so far is as well developed as allocator. hopefully the developer of the hardware will release a windows driver, but even that is a less than ideal solution since i cant stand windows

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011