Can't connect to Internet on windows side using parallels!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ANON, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ANON

ANON Bit poster

With Parallels, the MAC side is working fine running safari and having no trouble connecting to the internet. However, when I try to connect on the windows side, the page cannot be displayed. I checked Parallels and made sure that it was a Shared Network, not a bridged and not the other one. I'm using a wireless broadband connection. I dont have leopard. When in windows I went to network connections and it showed a local area connection, under that is said connected, and under that it said Parallels network adapter, so I think this is a problem with Parallels and not windows. What can I do?

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please on Mac side browse to 'Applications' -> 'Utilities' and open 'Terminal'. Run the following command there:
    sudo killall -hup pvsnatd
    Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. ANON

ANON Bit poster

No, what does that even do? it says I have a network connection when in windows. This has to be a problem with parallels.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello ANON,

The network connection problem might be caused by Parallels drivers conflict. The command proposed by Stacey will renew the drivers. Did you try it?

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. akp

akp Member

Is there a more persistant fix available for this problem? I was having this problem under 10.4 (with Windows XP) and now I am having it again after a fresh install of Parallels on a new 10.5 machine (again with a clean install of Windows XP).

I seem to only have this problem when my Mac is connected wirelessly. I need to run the above command every half-hour or so in order to continue using the network via Windows. It is extremely frustrating.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Akp,

More data is needed for profound analysis of your issue. Please let me know the following:

Parallels Desktop build you are using;
    Network Adapter type in your VM;
    Network configuration on Mac side;
    What antivirus programms you are using;
    The output of ifconfig command from Mac side (run the command in Terminal);
    The output of ipconfig /all command from Windows side (click Start -> Run, type cmd and run the command in CMD window);
    The output of tracert www.parallels.com command from Windows side.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. Alemanenterprise

Alemanenterprise Bit poster

wireless internet usb card on windows side won't load or identify usb card

First time mac user-Hello i was hoping you can help me walk thru your process you recommended. I have a similar issue. .......what part do i type in?......posted questioned..."With Parallels, the MAC side is working fine running safari and having no trouble connecting to the internet. However, when I try to connect on the windows side, the page cannot be displayed. I checked Parallels and made sure that it was a Shared Network, not a bridged and not the other one. I'm using a wireless broadband connection. I dont have leopard. When in windows I went to network connections and it showed a local area connection, under that is said connected, and under that it said Parallels network adapter, so I think this is a problem with Parallels and not windows. What can I do?"

The details= new mac mini out of box. using usb internet card for internet access. i'm mobile. new 3.0 parallels, new OS xp, software work good together until usb is connected and used. Great usb on mac side for internet. Now parallels won't load or open when usb is on or plugged in. End up having to reboot everytime. All works when directly connected with cat5 internet cable. I need usb wireless internet. Also on windows side won't identify usb card. Mac does.

my goal is to have usb internet card text msg feature working with windows. this feature doesnt work with Mac. only gets me to internet. I learn this after the fact i purchased mac mini and spend 2 hours with tech support with mac and verizon that mac doesnt run text feature but windows does. Thats not what it says on the box!!! Sorry i was venting.
    any help is much appreciated.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It seems to me that it is Verizon Wireless, its drivers shutdown our interfaces.
    Please try to start Parallels and then insert USB card

9. Alemanenterprise

when i start parallels the usb card is not dedected. just sits there searching asking me to plug it in when it is plugged in. i diconnect it and plug it again and no difference. So i run usb first, then parallels won't run. frustrating.

10. Alemanenterprise

will this help me------please on Mac side browse to 'Applications' -> 'Utilities' and open 'Terminal'. Run the following command there:
    sudo killall -hup pvsnatd
    Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

Didnt want to try not knowing results.

11. iota

iota Member

Hi Anon,

You need to share your Wireless Broadband connection... I ve figured it out recently...
    Share your wireless broadband connection to the computers connected to your Parallels "Shared Networking" interface.

12. dexterator

dexterator Bit poster

Same problem different configuration

"With Parallels, the MAC side is working fine running safari and having no trouble connecting to the internet.
    However, when I try to connect on the windows side, the page cannot be displayed".

I love Parallels, but I don't access the internet through the windows side very often. When I tried today I couldn't get on. I recently changed my network setting from Parallels Host-Guest to auto and back again in system preferences while troubleshooting another problem so I don't know if I lost something in translation.

I'm connected to a cable modem by ethernet. I also have a wireless airport network for other machines.
    Where do I check Parallels to make sure its a Shared Network, not a bridge?
    In my Parallels network preferences both boxes are checked: enable DHCP scope for host-only and enable for shared networking
    When in windows I went to network connections and it showed a local area connection, under that is said connected, and but no reference to the Parallels network adapter.
    I got a warning when I tried the Terminal command that there is a risk of data loss, so I thought I check in and make sure I've got the right instructions.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

13. John@Parallels

14. dexterator

dexterator Bit poster

Thanks. I'm afraid I may not be too well versed in the protocol of this but my tech guy can't get here for a week so I'm plodding through this on my own(with your help). So reading the manual I understand that I can't reconfigure while the VM is on, but when I stop it, Parallels shuts down - what am I missing?

15. John@Parallels

Start Parallels Desktop holding Command key, and you will be able to access Configuration Editor

16. dexterator

dexterator Bit poster

This is really helpful. I've got the Internet connection, but now my printer doesn't work in the virtual machine. When I turn VM off, the page prints. At first its listed as a USB but when I try to check it I get the message that the "device" is in use in another application.
    Do I need to start a new thread somewhere for this new problem?

17. John@Parallels

I suppose you are using USB connection option as Always connect to Guest OS
    on Configuration Editor- USB Controller 1- COnnection options, change it to Connect to Mac OS, and you will be able to print from Mac

18. dexterator

dexterator Bit poster

I think we've got it!! Thanks.

19. mjgpe

mjgpe Bit poster

This got my internet connection back on the Windows side using the command recommended by Stacey, but I notice that when I open up the Network Connections window in Windows XP, the only icon is for "Local Area Connection 3". There is no "Wireless Network Connection" icon, nor is there a small icon in the task bar where one can normally right-click and "Find Available Wireless Networks." It seems like the Parallels Network Adapter is now behaving as if my Windows VM is wired to the Mac. I don't believe it used to be that way. How do I get the wireless icons back??

20. John@Parallels

It means you are connecting through Mac OS side