Solaris 11 install hangs on Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by NBW2011, Nov 9, 2011.

1. NBW2011

NBW2011 Bit poster

Running Parallels 7.0.15050 rev. 707095 and trying to run the new Solaris 11 for x86 text install image downloaded from [1]. It hangs after displaying the following notice:

SunOS Release 5.11 Version 11.0 64-bit
    Copyright (c) 1983, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Thoughts?

-Noah

[1] - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html

2. Randall Smock

Randall Smock Bit poster

I've seen this hang in the past with earlier 64 bit kernels, for a moment I thought parallels didn't support 64 bit guest but looking it appears they do; with earlier versions of Solaris you could force it to use the 32 bit kernel with grub, with Solaris 11 initial release (and all that follow I suspect) 64 bit kernel is the only supported mode, I have tried install from iso, real media, to ide, sata and scsi, (cd and hd) I have tried 256MB or memory all the way up to 2GB, I have tried 1 proc to 4, I have tried with apic.devices.disable=0, =1, various video configs (low mem, high mem accell, no accell) and device settings (removed all non needed, left them, etc...) no love on this, its a deal breaker for me as I rely on solaris VM's for a lot of testing that would otherwise be dangerous to the environment(s) I support..... hate Fusion but will be seeing if that works any better, virtual box might have a good chance at working as well as its Oracle and a good number of their internal folks use MacBooks :)

3. jerecoh

jerecoh Bit poster

Still not fixed

Solaris 11 still does not appear to be supported, nor is OpenIndiana, in Parallels Desktop 7. When is this going to be fixed, Parallels?

4. trifer0

trifer0 Bit poster

Inaceptable

Es inaceptable que aun no se soporte. Menos windows¡¡¡

5. Stefan Lisowski

Stefan Lisowski Junior Member

Supported?

From the compatibility list for Parallels Desktop 8 http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ I see Oracle Solaris 11 64 bit is supported. But When I try it I get the same symptoms as above. Solaris hangs during boot. I tried following Oracle's advice http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/html/820-7799/parallels.html suggesting to boot with Bridged networking; Ethernet, but no change. No change if I run with the install .iso or the live .iso either. If anyone has gotten Solaris 11 working with Parallels 8, I'd love to hear how they did it.

6. Stefan Lisowski

I installed Solaris 11 in Virtualbox without any trouble. I tried to convert my Virtualbox VMs to Parallels. Conversion in Parallels seemed to go OK, but then when booting Solaris, I go the same hang, right after selecting Solaris at the text boot menu. So I'll keep using Parallels for Windows versions and Linuxes, but I'll have to keep Virtualbox around for Solaris.

7. juzci

juzci Guest

Stefan,
    it's a new issue, we're investigating it now. Thank you for your report, we appreciate it.

Hanna

8. Stefan Lisowski

OK. If you need me to test anything let me know. I would prefer to just run Parallels and not have to have Virtual Box running too.

9. rickky

rickky Bit poster

Just to report that I encounter Parallels 7 hang when I tried to install Solaris 11 11/11 on my Mac too. It's ok running on VirtualBox. I'd like to get it to work on Parallels. Any news?

10. Rishi Chopra

Rishi Chopra Junior Member

I am running Solaris 11 using Parallels 6 on a Mac but the VM was downloaded from Oracle and was not created by installation...

11. Rishi Chopra

Rishi Chopra Junior Member

To clarify my comment: the version in question which was downloaded was 11.0 (Solaris 11 11/11) and was upgraded to 11.1 without issue (the package manager even created a separate boot menu entry). At present a VirtualBox VM of Solaris 11.1 can be downloaded and imported into Parallels (there is no Solaris Virtual Appliance being hosted by Parallels at present).

A little Googling can lead one to the Live CD for both Solaris 11 Express as well as Solaris 11.0 (though with neither hosted by Oracle); the former installs without issue using PD8 and the later will likely as well...

12. NightShifter75

NightShifter75 Bit poster

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  13. IvanCarlos

IvanCarlos Bit poster

No fix yet?

I have same problem using Parallels 8.

14. 28Scout

28Scout Bit poster

I'm also hanging when trying to install Solaris 11.1 on Parallels 8. Love my Mac and Solaris. Would love to have both on the same machine.

15. Thomas von Rymon-Lipinski

Thomas von Rymon-Lipinski Bit poster

I had the same problem with Parallels 8.
    Unchecking the option "Show battery status in Solaris" fixed this problem!

16. timtty

timtty Bit poster

Confirmed. Worked for me as well! Thank you Thomas for sharing, well done sir.