Mounter in 5.0.9376 does not open any guest OS disc

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bob424, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Bob424

Bob424 Bit poster

I have 4 guest OS's (XP Pro, Solaris 11, and 2 flavors of Linux) on my Mac. None of them can be opened using the mounter in version 5.0.9376, yet all of them are working just fine.

Here is the error message:
    Parallels Mounter is unable to open the virtual hard disk. Either the hard disk has no volumes or its file system is not supported or contains errors. Start your virtual machine and check the disk for file system errors.

Any ideas what the problem could be? All of the Google searches for a solution yielded nothing.

Thanks

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

What kind of Mac OS do you have?

Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

3. Bob424

Bob424 Bit poster

Typically, I run 32, but have tried both 32 and 64 without success.

The OS is 10.6.8 and everything is up to date. When the problem first occurred, I had NOT updated any software recently. The mounter just stopped working.

4. ronaande

ronaande Member

I have encountered similar behavior for a while now, although restarting the Mac (thereby reloading the Parallels program) has always resolved it. I assume in your case you have restarted your system at least once to no avail. Keep us posted...

5. Bob424

Bob424 Bit poster

Yes, multiple times.

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

So i suggest you to follow the instruction in error message - check disk for errors. Open Command line, put 'chkdsk /r' and press Enter. Restart virtual machine - check disk operation should start.

Try with one virtual machine and let us know the result.

7. Bob424

Bob424 Bit poster

I've done this before, but tried again tonight without success. Other suggestions?

8. Bob424

Bob424 Bit poster

Update: Just for fun, I created another guest OS of XP Pro. Again, it runs fine, but the mounter gives the error mentioned earlier.