Mac Air i7 with Parallels - WiDi

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PierreN, Nov 13, 2011.

1. PierreN

PierreN Bit poster

This question is a long shot - because Apple itself doesn't seem to be exploiting the intel chipset in this way - however it is worth asking ....

Intel have enabled (on newer chipsets,) WiDi (or Wireless Display) capability.
    What this means is that - for compatible PCs and Laptops, I can go and buy a $100 WiDi compatible box and connect that to my TV or projector with HDMI (or DVI or VGA in some cases) - then I can wirelessly connect my desktop to my TV and get 1080p wireless mirroring of my desktop

This is very clever because it means that a laptop or PC (Think Intel tablet too) doesnt 't be physically cabled to the TV or projector - but there is a twist to this - which is why I am posting on this forum

Now I KNOW there are wireless devices out there that plug into your USB slot and to another receiver - and these typically go to 720 clarity - but this is obviously aimed at using the wireless capability of your own laptop to do this

I also know that Apple have the Apple TV 2- but that only allows mirroring of an IOS 5 device (iPhone, ipad2) to a TV - not a macbook or Mac. The thinking is that the Apple TV 2 also runs IOS 5 - and isn't compatible with MAC OS/X - yet

So here comes the question ...

I run a Macbook air using an intel i7 - in native Mac mode I can't take advantage of WiDi

The question is - using my windows parallels - Can I?

2. DaniT

DaniT Bit poster

Parallels support for Intel WiDi

I have the same question as below, my hardware is MBP i7 2014 so hardware is supported by Intel.

3. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi PierreN & DaniT,

You should be able to connect the USB Device and use it in your Windows Virtual Machine. Please note this is only if the hardware is a USB device and not the integrated chipset.

Please follow the link below to know how to connect a USB device directly to your Windows Virtual Machine:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v9/ga/docs/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/32916.htm

You might also have to install necessary components for the USB device in the Windows VM.

Thanks,
    Looran

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014