Dec 12, 2011, 09:56 AM
Large number of domains on 1 client causing problems!
I've had a nightmare of a time migrating 1 client with 2070 domains from Plesk 9.5.4 to Plesk 10.4.4 MU#6. This has all been sorted now (see Parallels ticket #1265473), however some issues remain:
The "Customers" screen for the administrator also lists all the subscriptions for each customer. This is a problem because now I'm having to wait for all 2070 domains to load and display which causes unacceptable lag. Anyhow, the "Customers" link should show only customers, and not subscriptions, since if I wanted to see subscriptions, I would click the "Subscriptions" screen.
The default panel for the customer lists all the subscriptions in a drop down box at the top of the panel. As you can imagine, each time the mouse is moved over, a box containing 2070 domains is displayed - however, it takes about 5 minutes for the box to show up, because of the amount. Surely the default screen for a customer panel should list all their subscriptions allowing quick entry to the required, rather than defaulting to the first on their account?
Updating the subscription to use a different hosting plan (called: DNS Only, no hosting, little space, etc) gives the following error message:
[root@xxxxxx ~]# /usr/local/psa/bin/domain --switch-subscription xxxx.com -service-plan "DNS Only"
Unable to find service node for web service on domain with id=2522
All of the domains are stuck on "Custom", which needs to be changed.
Because of the 2nd problem, there doesn't appear to be an easy way for the customer to switch between subscriptions and make DNS changes - this is a big problem for us as overall it reduces functionality for the customer.
Do you have any ideas to resolve these problems, and if not, can we forward them to the developers to implement fixes?
Dec 13, 2011, 06:20 PM
I had had issues with a customer with about 80 domain names, the subscriptions drop down box at the top would run off the page and the client could not select the ones off the screen. One way to solve this was to convert all the separate subscriptions into a single subscription with multiple domains that plesk10 now supports. Unfortunately parallels does not offer tools for this so you have to fiddle with the "domains" table in the psa database.
Once done they ended up with one subscription with 80 domains in the "websites & domains tab not including aliases and sub domains that are also listed.
Still I would prefer parallels to make the panel work with customers that have lots of subscriptions or a way to consolidate subscriptions, tools that seem to be badly lacking.
Dec 14, 2011, 04:18 AM
can you elaborate on the changes you made to the database?
Dec 14, 2011, 04:35 PM
The first thing to do is make a backup of the psa database! . Then check the subscription you wish to merge into has enough resources, especially domains. Next open the psa database and search the "domains" table for the subscription you wish to merge all the others into. You will need to take note of it's "id" number. Once you have this you can search for the other domains you wish to merge into the first, for each of these subscriptions you need to set;
webspace_id= (id number of the subscription you wish to merge all the domains to)
That should be it. As soon as you make the changes, reload the page in plesk and the change should be effective. The subscriptions you altered will now be on the websites and domains tab in the target subscription.
One other thing, the above procedure assumes that the cl_id (client) and vendor_id (reseller or admin) numbers are the same for all subscriptions you are merging. I've no idea how plesk would feel about merging subscriptions belonging to two different clients.
Lastly did I mention making a backup of the database? I hope that the above is of some use.
Dec 15, 2011, 03:10 AM
thank you burnleyvic. i'll give it a little test and see how i get on. going forward, does plesk behave normally, and can you add new domains to a customer via the panel, and have them behave in the same way?
Dec 15, 2011, 03:11 AM
it might be a little helpful to elaborate slightly,
setup for this customer is as follows:
the client has XXXX domains
all domains have DNS enabled
NO hosting for any of the domains, DNS ONLY
Dec 15, 2011, 04:31 PM
That is not be a problem, even though all the domain names are consolidated under the one subscription each one can still retain its own individual settings inc vhost, dns, mail.
In your case the client would log into the subscription click on "websites & domains" and then click dns settings. They would then be able to select which "domain" they want to adjust dns settings for.
Once all the accounts are converted new domains can be added as separate subscriptions with their own resources OR you can log into the existing subscription click on websites & domains and the click "Add new Domain" provided the service plan they are using allows this and they have enough spare domain names allocated in the plan. If you have set number of domains for the plan to unlimited and given permission for "domain creation" to that plan type it will work fine.
I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. Here is what I did:
* created a new subscription (on same client) with unlimited resources
* got id of subscription
* dumped list of id's from subscriptions already on the client (removing the id gained previously)
* ran query on all those ids setting webspace_id = id of brand new subscription, permissions_id = 0 and limits_id =0.
what happened was that whilst the main page on the client login listed "domains 2089 used of unlimited", the only domain visible for management was that of the brand new subscription i had created.
looks like you also have to set parentDomainId
May 4, 2012, 10:27 PM
Tags for this Thread