Reinstalling Parallels and Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rothgarr, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Hi everyone. I have two questions.

1) I have two copies of Parallels. I need to reinstall the copy on my MacBook. I have no idea which serial number goes with which computer. Is there a place in Parallels that tells me the serial number it's using? I checked the About menu, etc. and couldn't find it.

2) Do i need to also reinstall XP and all my software, etc.? Or is there a way for me to just re-install Parallels? And how do I go about re-installing? Do I throw the Parallels folder in the trash and re-install? Or do I just re-install over the existing install?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have one additional question... does the Parallels license allow me to install on just one computer or two (like how most software allows you to install once on your work computer and once on your home computer).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Actually there is no difference which software is installed on which computer

You do not need to reinstall Virtual Machines, just copy Virtual Machines folder to external HDD and after reinstall you can copy them back

Parallels license allows only one installation on one Mac

3. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

But what if I enter the wrong serial number when I reinstall?

Would this be the group of files located in Macintosh HD > Users > "me" > Documents > Parallels?

So to confirm, I copy those files externally, reinstall parallels, copy those files back, and Parallels will know to use those files?

Also how does one reinstall Parallels? Do I have to somehow remove the old version first?

Even better, is there a step-by-step guide that I'm somehow missing here on the site?

Got it . Thanks. Again, if this is the case I want to make sure I type in the correct serial number.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

There is no problem, you can enter another serial
    Yes, Virtual machines are located in Documents/Parallels

Reinstall Parallels
    either this
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

or run uninstaller from Parallels Cd, or mounted dmg file