Fedora

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by TylerI, Jan 11, 2012.

1. TylerI

TylerI Bit poster

I'm fairly new to using Parallels and for school we've been requested to install Fedora, though I want to run it virtually.

I created a new Parallels instance and loaded up the ISO for Fedora I had and it loaded the Live version. Now, if I go to install this (via their Install to Harddrive icon in KDE) will it install it into the Parallels session?

I ask because my storage space is quite limited. I have 128GB SSD drive and it's already partitioned for MacOS and Win7 (win7 also has a Parallels install so I can access it).

I was hoping to only give Fedora about 2GB of space in total. Is this doable? Do I just continue on with the installation of Fedora as if it was a regular install (while in Parallels)?

Thanks!

2. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Yes. As long as you are inside a VM that you created with the Fedora .iso you will install onto the virtual hard drive of the VM.

I am not sure if 2GB is sufficient. By default Parallels actually creates a 64GB "expanding" drive. It starts out small - both of my Linux drives take up 6 - 7 GB each - and will only grow if you require extra space. Remember you are working with a virtual machine. It's really just files on your hard drive.. you can always just tell Parallels to delete it.

3. TylerI

TylerI Bit poster

thanks!

Yea I know 2GB isn't much, but for school I don't see us using very much so I'll be stripping it down on install if possible. I'll try and make some extra room.

I'll see what I can do a report back! Thanks!