Problems with bridged network

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MorningZ, Jan 30, 2012.

1. MorningZ

MorningZ Junior Member

Host computer:
    - Macbook Pro Feb 2011 model

Guest OS:
    - Windows 7 Professional

I'll try to keep this brief....... I am having maddening issues with the "bridged" networking of the Windows guest OS.....

If my MB is plugged in via Ethernet to my home network, all is peachy... Parallels is set to use "Bridged Network --> Default Adapter", the Win7 guess pulls an IP, i can get out on the internet in Windows, my Mac can see the Windows 7 OS and all that stuff

But if I am only connected to my network by WiFi, I cannot get the Windows 7 machine to get an IP from the router....

I even switched the "Bridged Network" value to "WiFi" and it makes no difference.... how the heck can I made Parallels connect to my network from either wired or wireless?

Here is an example of the settings that i would *THINK* would work, but as you can see, Windows has zero clue what to do....

[​IMG]

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Going from a wired to a wireless connection introduces a number of things you need to check, especially on the wireless router.

Do you have MAC address filtering enabled on the router? If so, you would need to add that MAC address to the allowed list of machines. You could also try turning off "Send the host's MAC address..."

Does the Mac side connect OK wirelessly? Does the Shared networking option work when you are going wireless? If everything works except going into bridged mode, there's something about how the router is trying to give an address to the VM.

Steve

3. MorningZ

MorningZ Junior Member

"Do you have MAC address filtering enabled on the router?"

- I don't (my router is an Airport Extreme btw)

"Does the Mac side connect OK wirelessly?"

- Perfectly

"Does the Shared networking option work when you are going wireless?"

- I need to stick with Bridged because I have Parallels running so I can develop .NET and my Mac OS can't "see" websites running on the guest Win7 in anything but Bridged

4. josheby

josheby Bit poster

Having same issue...

MorningZ -

Did you ever get this working? I am having the same exact problem. Brand new MacBook and Parallels Desktop for Mac 8.

If I setup on wired ethernet networking everything works fine. Put my Windows 7 VM on Bridged Networking on Default Adapter and all works. If I unplug and go to wireless Bridged Networking stops working and I have to switch back to shared network.

Any help would be appreciated if you found a solution.

Thanks!

5. MorningZ

MorningZ Junior Member

I do have it working on either Wired or Wireless just fine

Really not sure what I did, but i can share my settings:

- Parallels version 8
    - LAN adapter in Windows 7 is set to obtain IP and DNS automatically
    - Parallels LAN settings are bound to "Default Adapter" and the "Bridged Network" option is also set to "Default"

and this setup works fine either connected via WiFi or the built in Ethernet port on my 2011 model Macbook Pro

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. josheby

josheby Bit poster

Thanks for the update. I have setup mine the same way with no luck on a MacBook Pro that was just purchased.

I am guessing it might be some sort of wireless config in OS X that is causing my issue. Once I unplug and go on wifi it is like my Windows 7 install on Parallels looses the ability to use DHCP...

7. pierobon

pierobon Junior Member

Same problem here!!! Anyone please?
    If someone doesn't help me, i'm going to open a ticket.

8. MorningZ

MorningZ Junior Member

I'd suggest trying to assign an IP to the adapter in Windows instead of using DHCP

I have mine set to DHCP *but* i also have my router (Apple Airport Extreme) set to assign a specific IP address to the MAC address of the adapter in Windows (just about all routers have this ability to assign by MAC)

9. josheby

josheby Bit poster

Pierobon -

Did you open a case? If so, can you please add the notes to this thread??

MorningZ -

I haven't tried that. May give it a whirl to see if it makes a difference. It won't fix my issue however as the user would have to change that IP a bunch as this device visits multiple buildings on different VLANs.

Thanks!

10. MorningZ

MorningZ Junior Member

Just to note: back when i was having issues I was using this free program to switch between IP "profiles"

http://www.eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm

11. Blatwurst

Blatwurst Bit poster

Me too

I'm also having this problem with my brand new MacBook Pro 2012. Bridged networking works great with my Linux VM when I'm on ethernet, but when I switch to wireless, I get nothing. The VM can't talk to the outside world. If I use DHCP then nothing works at all because the VM can't talk to my router to get an IP. If I set a static IP address, then my Mac and my VM can talk, but the VM still can't reach anything on the network.

Has Parallels ever confirmed this problem, or is there a known ticket against this issue?

Blat

12. RogerLovato

RogerLovato Bit poster

Same problem here.. :(

13. Eric Nelson

Eric Nelson Bit poster

Same problem here with a twist. Bridged Networking using WiFi has been working for months. Just recently it will work for a few days and then suddenly stop working with symptoms as others have described. (Shared works, Bridged can't get IP address).

Sometimes reinstalling Parallels Tools will fix it. Sometimes doing that plus rebooting the VM and the host. Today nothing is fixing it and like an earlier poster I have to have a separate IP for the VM for .net development. I'm stuck. Parallels please help!!

14. matt960

matt960 Bit poster

Same here.. been working for months now bridged network no longer working, mac can't see VM.. can't think/identify what has changed to mess things up.

Did anybody find a solid fix?

15. JohnT55

JohnT55 Bit poster

I am having similar problems. Brand new macbook pro 10.8.4 running Parallels 8. I initially had wireless connection to my domain server, but somehow it has been lost and now I can't connect to my office network at all. I still have internet access thru the mac and the vm. I have tried all of the settings that have been suggested in previous posts, and have just tried to connect via ethernet, and I still can't get on the network. HELP! Would it help to uninstall the parallels and re-install? Thanks.

16. DanMcG

DanMcG Bit poster

I had this same issue just a couple days ago. I believe that I ended up deleting the network adapters in Windows and allowing it to find and reinstall them automatically. After that things started working as bridged again. It was very random since I have been using it like this for months with no issues at all then out of the blue one morning on wakeup it was hosed...

17. ohyesboy

ohyesboy Bit poster

FIXED!!! by going to Network settings , set DHCP Server to auto. I previously had it on 'Use Generated MAC address' , and bridged network does not work

18. ohyesboy

ohyesboy Bit poster

This is the screenshot

Attached Files:

19. Chris_H

Chris_H Bit poster

I now have this problem with Parallels 13. They removed the Auto setting and bridging does not work. Windows 7 auto-assigns an internal IP address. I have to manually hard code IP then back out. I need Windows 7 on network subnet to connect to my Home Automation Lantronix device servers. What a mess.

20. RanjnaC

RanjnaC Bit poster

i am also having similar issue...for few linux based VM its working and for other linux based its not working