Converting Windows 7 image to vm

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sharjohn, Feb 2, 2012.

1. sharjohn

sharjohn Bit poster

I have an iMac with two internal hdd's. One is committed to Lion the other to windows 7 running under boot camp. I am new to Parallels and it seems to be running just fine. I have no problems running Mac and windows at the same time. My question relates to windows. I made an image of my windows 7 partition and the system reserve partition using a program called Macrium Reflect and have placed that image on an external hd. It was suggested that if I wanted to test the image to make sure it is ok, I could convert it to a vm.

Can I do this? Can I have more than one vm? If I need to convert it to a vm, will it convert the windows 7 partition and the system reserve? Can you please advise what I can do and how to do it?

2. SakibS

SakibS Hunter

You have to install parallel and convert the Image to VM. You don't need to install more than one VM. You can do it under parallel.

SakibS [​IMG]

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

You can have more than one VM - but you need to clarify what particular vm is supposed to be created from an image file using which application? and i am not sure what extension is your image file?

You can make a backup VM using parallels - to migrate all BootCamp partition to the VM and keep it as a backup. You can do this from the file manu - Import Boot Camp