What??? Parallels LOST my Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PerpendicuIars, Feb 16, 2012.

1. PerpendicuIars

PerpendicuIars Bit poster

Has anyone had this happen?

I just went to open Parallels and received a message that I needed to activate the software. I dug out the old email and reactivated, but there is no virtual machine - No Windows 7, no programs that I had installed on Windows 7 - nothing. It just gave me the option to install a new virtual machine via CD or other media. I have had Parallels running since roughly May of last year.

Is my Windows virtual machine completely lost? If so, I will not be able to deactivate my CAD and Office software and thus lose a seat allotted to the license.

Snow Leopard, Parallels 6

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello.
    Please try to use Spotlight - try to search for "Windows 7.pvm" (if you have Windows 7) or just ".pvm" and check if Spotlight can find a file.

It should be in your Documents/Parallels/ folder.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. Statman

Statman Member

Huh...mine did the same thing today. worked fine yesterday. today I launch parallels and it wants me to install from dvd or from one my computer. i found the backup, but it has to reinstall everything...terrible

4. Statman

Statman Member

Well I started up from my backup clone. Ran disk warrior and permissions, rebooted from the main drive and parallels started right up...not sure what happened, but boy am I relieved.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Actually, it's highly unlikely that it "lost" it or that it's unrecoverable, unless it was deleted, but Parallels wouldn't do that for any reason without user interaction, and it's also extremely unlikely there is a "bug" that deletes the VM. So, like Yana replied, it's probably in the computer somewhere, and most likely it was accidentally moved (one of the many hypothesis) but if you recovered from backup you may also have deleted the latest version.

6. Statman

Statman Member

What I mean by "lost" is the link between the Parallels software and the vm must have broken...when parallels started up it was as if it was the first time I had used it. In any case it works just as before after rebuilding the drive and repairing permissions. It was strange though.

7. TexasChris

TexasChris Bit poster

Does anyone know if the .pvm file can be located while the Mac is indexing?

8. kat

kat Product Expert

You can find all of your .pvm files by searching for .pvm in your finder. Then just click on the .pvm file.
    the finder window will give you the exact location of your file.
    for me its My UserAccount name: ka -then documents -then Parallels -then the .pvm file

9. larry

larry Bit poster

What next after you find the .pvm file ?

The same thing happened to me: I have been using Parallels for Windows 7 for no problem. My vitual machine list also includes Windows Vista. This morning my virtual machine list was empty and parallels booted up as though I had never used it before: asking for an activation and prompting me to install a virtual machine.

Supposing that I the .pvm file, what do I do next?

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You doubleclick on it.

11. JustinFleming

JustinFleming Bit poster

Had the same thing happen last week after OS X did an update. I checked Time Machine and the .pvm file suddenly went from 17gb to 9mb one morning. Parallels would report that no operating system was installed.
    I had to restore the pvm from a backup but lost files that were explicitly created within Windows since the previous backup.

12. SandieW

SandieW Bit poster

This has just happen to me. lost all my embroidery designs and programs
    very unhappy can't find out where to retrieve them
    Parallells just said can't find windows need to use CD or other media

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In order regain access to your embroidery designs, have you read the the whole thread and tried any of the possible solutions?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  14. Lynne_Holiday

Lynne_Holiday Bit poster

This just happened to me. I installed an update and now the virtual machine or windows 7 is nowhere to be found. These applications are only used to access the jovian archives MMI, which I now have no access too. All of this is expensive software. Where is the virtual machine?

15. gizmo43

gizmo43 Bit poster

Does any one know the download link for Parallels 12 if so can you share

16. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Visit this link and go to Additional Downloads to find the link to download Parallels Desktop 12.

17. SonnyR

SonnyR Bit poster

I also have the same problem. i located my ppm but the problem is, it is saying that no boot data is available. i checked on the settings, it is booted in hdd.

Attached Files:

18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Check and let us know the size of the .pvm file.

19. JasonS12

JasonS12 Bit poster

wow, unreal this just happened to me.
    Versions:
    osx: 10.13.4
    parallels: 11.2.3
    vms: Ubuntu 18.04

I had 2 Ubuntu VMs running, and I clicked the close ("x") on both of them. Parallels asked me if I want to close/suspend, I selected close.
    The both machines disappeared from the Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    I went to /Users/<username>/Documents/Parallels/ and to my surprise they are gone. Not in the trash either. They were deleted by Parallels software.

I run find to search for all pvm files from the root directory, and they're gone. Deleted.

I think the problem here is that Parallels thought the the VMs were still installing and I selected "stop" to stop the installation. I assumed it was just to stop the VM because these VMs were running for some time.

I won't use Express Installation again!

20. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

This *JUST* Happened to me, the exact same scenario above.

I was running Parallels, Windows 8. Everything was working fine in the morning. I paused the instance and then I rebooted my laptop and tried to fire up Windows again, only to discover my entire Parallels directory was blank.

I did not delete the PVM's. I was not prompted to delete them. No they were not moved, nor manually deleted.

They are just gone.

I ran 3 recovery programs for deleted files, and the only thing it could find related to Parallels is 2 - 4gig "LNK" Files. I highly doubt this is any of my files though, Visual Studio is something like 17 gigs alone.

This just cost me, not only over a week of work, but maybe thousands of dollars from a client deadline looming that I can now not reach.

The PVM is just gone.

I'm absolutely furious.

macOS High Sierra
    Version 10.13.4
    15 Inch MacBook Pro, 2.9ghz, 16 GB / Ram

Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition
    Version 13.3.0 (43321)

I'm so screwed right now. Like literally, lost a client because of this.

Last edited: May 2, 2018