Windows VISTA no longer starts

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cpu, Feb 25, 2012.

1. cpu

cpu Bit poster

Hello,
    I am running Parallels Build 6.0.12106 for MacBook Pro (Lion 10.7.3) and have a Windows VISTA VM that used to run just fine. However, now I can't start or stop it any more: all I see is a black (blank) VM-Window and my only option under "virtual machines" is to stop this VM. However, when I try to do this, I get this error message (sorry, it is in German):

Dieser Vorgang kann nicht abgeschlossen werden, da sich die virtuelle Maschine "Microsoft Windows Vista" im Zustand "anhalten" befindet.

I have waited for several days, but nothing ever happens. I quit Parallels and restarted it. I get the window with my VMs to choose from and other VMs work fine (windows XP for instance), but the VISTA VM just goes to the black window and sits there. The VISTA VM has very important data on it, so I can't simply reinstall it, I need to run that hard drive image again!

What can I do?

Thanks for your help
    Helmut

2. cpu

cpu Bit poster

Solved!

A reboot of the host OS (MacBook Pro) solved the problem.

What had happened:
    Parallels run while the Mac was running on battery and the battery ran out. Windows noticed this and went into hibernation. I plugged AC power back in, the Mac came back to life, but windows did not notice this and stayed in hibernation! After rebooting the Mac I got a notice from windows that my battery was almost dead and that I should plug in AC power (but by then the battery was at 100% and AC was already in). Due to the reboot of the Mac windows finally noticed that power was back and woke up again. Puuuh! .-)

Parallels should work on this case and either wake up the guest OS once power is back or give an indication to the user that this is what is preventing the guest from starting up. As I said before: stopping and starting Parallels did not resolve the problem - I think it should.

Helmut

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

Just fyi - in case you are not able to start virtual machine and there is important data on the hard drive - go to User/Documents/Parallels/ and open pvm file with Parallels Mounter. It will mout Windows VM drive to Finder.