Font size changes across browsers

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JaniceA, Feb 26, 2012.

1. JaniceA

JaniceA Bit poster

I am not a programmer, but have been okay with using the Plesk sitebuilder. I have run into some issues when I enter text on the builder and format it to size small. This looks great on the published site if I view in Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. However, when viewed in IE8 the fonts are large and it does not make the site look very professional.

I first tried doing some font changes in the builder from IE so that I could preview the pages in IE, but this resulted in the font being all messed up when viewing the published site in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. I have found that if I do my site updates and previews in Firefox, it is the lesser of 2 evils as the published site looks good in 3 out of the 4 browers I use for checking.

Why does this happen? Is it something I am doing wrong?

As a follow-up to my initial question above, my hosting company just took a look at my site across the different browsers and they feel that the reason this is happening is that the Site Builder program uses font sizes such as x-small, small, etc. instead of using absolute font sizes such as 10, 11, 12 and this causes the different browers to interpret the fonts differently. If you take a look at www.mcmillanartscentre.com in different browers, you will see exactly what I mean.

Will this ever be changed/reprogrammed within the Site Builder program?? It is quite disheartening to put all of this work into setting up a site, previewing it, and then after publishing it looks different on IE than it does on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012