How to stop tools upgrade from launching

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kelvinsp, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kelvinsp

kelvinsp Bit poster

I've recently upgraded to PD7 but wish to keep my PD6 tools installed in the VM.
    How do I stop the installer firing up each time I boot my VM which auto starts to upgrade the tools to v7?
    I have disconnected the floppy and CD and un-ticked the check for updates checkbox?
    VM is WinXP SP3 .. Host is OSX 10.7
    thanks

2. strells

strells Product Expert

I don't understand why you want to do this. You have to use the PD7 tools to work with the PD7 features. If for some reason you ever want to go back to PD6, just reinstall the PD6 tools.

Steve

3. kelvinsp

kelvinsp Bit poster

Hi Steve, the PD7 tools on installation are corrupting my VM and goes into a stack dump,, tried various combinations of uninstalling, upgrading and logged a call with no success to date. In fact the PD6 tools work with the PD7 desktop so I will live with that but just trying to stop the installer firing up every time I boot.

4. Mark-A

Mark-A Bit poster

Please inform us on how to stop Parallels tools from installing

Was this answered? I too have the same issue where the PD7 tools are corrupting my VM and it will not let me use the VM,I agree with Kelvinsp, the PD6 tools work with the PD7 desktop so I will live with that and not have whatever features disable my ability to work.
    SO.. How do I get PD7 to stop the installer firing up every time I boot.

Or or is it recommended to remove PD7?

5. kelvinsp

kelvinsp Bit poster

In the end I uninstalled my windows virus scanner which was conflicting with the tools instal causing the VM to blue screen. After that it all started working as expected and Im now running the latest versions of parallels and tools.

6. Mark-A

Mark-A Bit poster

Thanks

Thanks for the reply
    This is good information , but I had already tried this. I finally went in computer management and disabled the Parallels tools service. (It took 3 restores) but I finally got it.Disabling this service stopped the "Tools" install from starting.
    In my case ,every time , Once the tools get installed,.. it is like the system FREEZES or its video, nothing functions... either case the VM is un-usable.