Pinnacle Studio 12 in Win7 Guest OS

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GearTalk, Apr 5, 2012.

1. GearTalk

GearTalk Member

I'm running Parallels Desktop 7 on my 2012 iMac and have Win7 home premium running as a guest OS.

When I start Pinnacle Studio 12 on my guest OS I get an IRQ error and a window asks me to supply the IRQ. Then the application tries to load a bit more and then simply crashes 100% of the time.

This application is really the only Windows app that I really need to run on Parallels on my Mac. So, any help on how to get this to run would be appreciated.

I did see a thread here from 2010 that talked about turning off "shared" desktops in Parallels and I did try that. But it still won't run.

Thanks

2. shahbazH

shahbazH Bit poster

This is a rare issue Pinnacle systems is trying to resolve. This problem can be caused by the Pinnacle UMI.INI file being missing after installing Studio. This occurs if this we remove this file.

Option 1: Press the "OK" button on the "No IRQ driver selected" error window and close the other window by pressing on the X in the upper right hand corner. See if Studio opens. If it does, you can use this as a work around.

Option 2: Download the UMI.INI file: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Attachments/umi.zip. Once you have the file, extract the UMI.ini file and copy it to the the location listed below. Where it is copied to, depends on your version of Windows. In the paths given below, substitute "StudioVersion" for your specific version of Studio (Studio 11, 12, 14, etc.)

If you have XP C:\Documents and settings\all users\documents\Pinnacle\Program files\Pinnacle\StudioVersion\programs

If you have Vista C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Program Files\Pinnacle\StudioVersion

Option 3. Uninstall and reinstall

3. GearTalk

GearTalk Member

Thanks, I'll gave that a try.

I ended up creating a Bootcamp install of Win7 and installing my Pinnacle software there. It works fine that way. But it's not as convenient.

I have tried the work around of closing the IRQ warning, but no matter what I try I've not been able to get Studio 12 to run in Parallels. It crashes 100% of the time on my computer.

4. GearTalk

GearTalk Member

I have a UMI.INI file - it's in a different folder than you suggested, but then you mentioned only XP and Vista and I'm on Win7 64-bit. It's located in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pinnacle\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 12\Programs

It is odd for there to even be a "Program Files (x86)" folder there -- since that's a main folder for 32-bit programs running on Win7 64-bit. That folder is usually in the C:\ drive.

I'm going to try to uninstall the application and reinstall it in my Parallels guest OS.

PS. I may just move that whole Pinnacle folder to the real Program Files (x86) folder where it belongs and see what that does.