Using Mac style close/min/max buttons in Coherence

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnLeMon, Apr 19, 2012.

1. JohnLeMon

JohnLeMon Bit poster

I like running my Windows apps in Coherence mode so that things look like a consistent Mac experience, but the one thing that is annoying is that the Windows apps have their min/max/close buttons on the upper RIGHT corner of the window while Mac apps have close/min/max buttons in the upper LEFT corner of the window. I am using Parallels so I can forget about which OS the apps are really running in, but I keep going up to the wrong corner depending on which OS'es app I was last using. Any way to make this consistent across all apps? I'd be happy if there was even just a wrapper shell around each of the Coherence windows with the standard Mac stuff in it. Thanks in advance for any advice about configuring this.

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Yes it exists. The name is Mac Look. Go to virtual machine top menu -> View -> Use Mac Look.

3. JohnLeMon

JohnLeMon Bit poster

Mac Look doesn't solve my problem

Turning on "Mac Look" makes the buttons look "Mac-like" (ie they are round and red, yellow, and green) but they still end up on the upper RIGHT side of the windows. I want them to be on the upper LEFT side of the window they way they are on Mac applications.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

It depends on application. Open Notepad - you will see the buttons are on the left.

Unfortunately it is impossible to make it work for all applications is Windows - take a look at Paint - there are some buttons on the left side of the window. Maclook is not able to change the initial design of the application.

5. JohnLeMon

JohnLeMon Bit poster

Thanks for the update

Ok - I see it working some of the time now. Unfortunately my primary use of Parallels is running Outlook on the Windows side and unfortunately that application puts the close/min/max on the upper right. Is this a Microsoft issue or a Parallels issue (ie who should I complain to about fixing this)?

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

Well I don't think Microsoft would adjust their applications design to be easily used on Mac.
    You can address this issue to Parallels Tech suppor team as a feature request. www.parallels.com/support

7. AndyG2

AndyG2 Bit poster

_

So, what I am suggesting is the same on all sides, except on the top add a regular Mac title bar.

This would result in wasted vertical space: in my current configuration, roughly 40 pixels the full width of the window, with only the red/amber/green buttons. I might not want this on my laptop, but I could live with it on my big display when docked.

Plus, perhaps Parallels / Coherence could add some more useful decorations to such a title bar. On a big screen, the Mac menu bar at the top of the screen is SOOO far away. Personally, I would like to be able to do a Windows "New..." specifying app type, without having to turn coherence off and on again. Or possibly open the start menu or equivalent. Basically, some of the things that I miss from Windows on the Mac.