Stopping MobileBackups automounting on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MMcAvoy, May 11, 2012.

1. MMcAvoy

MMcAvoy Bit poster

Every time I restart my Mac, I see a device called MobileBackups added to /Volumes. It then appears to cause the Finder to display the dialog "Would you like to automount anyway despite no network available?". The dialog has "Cancel" and "OK" buttons but no title bar.
    I'm assuming it has something to do with Parallels as it started to appear around the same time that I installed Parallels v7.
    Thanks.

2. DidierP

DidierP Bit poster

Hi,

No, it's not related to Parallels or any other 3rd party App. The MobileBackup is a sparsebundle disk used by Time Machine on OS X Lion (not present in Snow Leopard and before). And, moreover, it's only present on notebook computer once you activate Time Machine. So you have certainly a Macbook Air/Pro running OS X Lion with TimeMachine enabled ;).

To be honest, i think this functionality is useless for most people and should be disable. You can do it by opening Terminal application and type: sudo tmutil disablelocal. Time Machine will continue to work on external Volumes. If you want to re-enable it: sudo tmutil enablelocal.

edit: By the way, don't forget to exclude virtual machines from backups (in TM config panel or in the VM Settings).

Regards,
    Didier

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. YanaYana

YanaYana