The speaker icon on the toolbar in my Windows 7 VM has a red x on it. If you hover over it the message "No Audio Output Device is Installed" appears.
If you click on the speaker the troubleshooter comes back with "Audio device is disable - Not Fixed".
I am running Parallels on a 27", Late 2009 iMac, 2.66 Ghz Core i5 with 12 GB RAM on OS X 10.7.4.
"Enable Sound" is checked for the VM.
The input and output device are both set to "Default".
The Windows 7 device manager shows no yellow exclamation points on any of the devices. Under "Sound, video, and game controllers", the "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" device shows up.
If I double-click on the "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" device, it says "The device is working properly".
In control panel under "Sound", "Speaker" is shown on the Playback tab as the default device with a green check mark and "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" below it. If I click on "Configure" on this tab, nothing happens. If I click the "Properties" button, it brings up the "Speaker Properties" window which again shows "Parallels Audio Controller (x64), "No Jack Information available", and "Use this device (enable)" set. Clicking on the "Levels" tab of this screen brings up a blank page.
Under Services, both the "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" services are "Started".
I have tried the following to address the issue:
1) Rebooted my iMac.
2) Rebooted the VM.
3) Re-installed Parallels Tools from the menu and rebooted.
4) Un-installed and re-installed Parallels Tools from the menu and rebooted.
5) From device manager in the system control panel, I have removed the "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" device and executed the "Scan for hardware changes" action to bring it back.
6) From within "Parallels Audio Controller (X64)" device I have uninstalled the driver and restarted the machine. It rediscovers the driver but the problem still exists.
7) I booted to safe mode in windows 7 and the same problem exists.
8) I checked the Audio Midi Setup application. It shows the output going to 2ch-24bit integer 44100.0hz. Tapping "Configure speakers" shows "Stereo" set with left from set to 1 and right front set to 2. Running the "Test Setup" from the MIDI Studio page, does nothing. What is supposed to happen with this test?
9) I tried to restart both the "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" services.
10) Ran "Windows Audio Playback Troubleshooter" and it found no issues.
Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!