Change Drive Letter of Shared mac Folder?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Bloomk, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Bloomk

Bloomk Junior Member

I have a folder that i shared and it is giving it a drive letter of X... can i change that to a different drive letter?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

You might try it in Computer - Right click - Manage

3. LornaHen

LornaHen Bit poster

I also have this issue
    Just installed PD9 on a new machine running Mavericks 10.9
    Computer Manage only seems to give me the option of changing C or the Parallel Tools drive, not the shared folder drive letters.
    I am sharing Mac folders with windows and mapping Mac volumes to windows
    For consistency across platforms I need a Data drive D: not the X it currently shows as

4. ccoxhead

ccoxhead Bit poster

Bump. Ditto. I need the drive letter to be specific for data consistency as well.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Manage Computer drive letters are for local disks only. Parallels Shared Folders behave like network disks.

When you share a Mac folder and you want to assign to it a certain drive letter, then you should do the following:

1) Instead of sharing the Mac folder directly, share the parent of the folder. For example, if you want a drive letter for /Volumes/MyDisk/ParentFolder/TheFolder then share /Volumes/MyDisk/ParentFolder
    2) In Windows go to My Computer and click Map network drive
    3) Select the drive letter you want to assign. Enter the path to the folder you want to map to the drive letter. For this example you would enter \\psf\ParentFolder\TheFolder
    4) Select "Reconnect at logon" so that the drive letter is mapped automatically when you restart the virtual machine.

The reason for sharing the ParentFolder is so that the path to the folder you want to share is as short as possible. Assigning drive letters to long paths has been known to not work properly.
    The reason for not sharing TheFolder directly, is because it might end up being assigned with the first unused drive letter starting from Z instead of the drive letter you want.

Note that these mapped drive letters can't be used by processes that are running under a different user (users like SYSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE).

6. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Everyone,

Drive letter assignment is managed by Windows and does not depend on Parallels Desktop. Please follow the below article for more information:

http://kb.parallels.com/116127

Thanks,
    Looran