Boot Camp VM crashes when memory is set larger than 2 GB

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Mashuri, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

My system is a Retina MBP 2.6 w/ 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Any time the VM is set to more than 2GB of RAM this crash happens. I have fully uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels and removed and re-added the VM to no avail. Also tried varying other parts of the VM config like video memory etc, along with upgrading my OS from Lion to Mountain Lion, all to no avail. My VM works fine at 2GB and below and my system boots into Boot Camp perfectly.

I sent a report. ID: 16828920

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

I should add that I am using the most current version of Parallels: Build 7.0.15104 (Revision 778994; July 10, 2012)

3. MashuriBC

MashuriBC Bit poster

Nobody has any suggestions?

4. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

Still nothing? I can't get this to work above 2GB. I've reinstalled, cleaned caches, permissions, etc. I'm at a loss.

5. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

Upgraded to Parallels 8 and still get the same error. I guess it's time to switch my company over to a VM that works and actually has support.

6. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

I just installed and configured VirtualBox to use the very same Boot Camp partition with 6GB RAM allocated and it works great. Parallels has been a complete waste of $$$ for me and it's getting beat by free software. Maybe it's the wonderful, responsive support that I'm paying for, right? This thread sure is indicative of that. Thanks for nothing guys... :mad:

7. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

Back to the top just to stay a thorn in your side. Even a reply of "We won't help you" is better than your deafening silence. BTW, upgraded to the latest version today and the same problem still exists. VirtualBox still has no issues with the same Boot Camp partition.

8. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Mashuri,

Parallels Forum's sole purpose is to allow our users to discuss Parallels related questions. Forum posts are not considered as support requests. To receive immediate assistance, you can submit a ticket here, or call our support hotline. Since you have already purchased and upgraded to Parallels Desktop 8, you have 30 days of free support.

At the same time, if you would like to continue with the Forum discussion, I will be happy to help. What I need is:

1. New problem report ID right after you reproduce the issue (the previous came from PD7, I need one for PD8)
    2. Was your BootCamp created with BootCamp assistant?

9. Mashuri

Mashuri Bit poster

I'll submit another ticket since I can't remember the ID of the one I submitted last year. Report ID is 21906062. Yes, I used Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition.