android os on Paralles 8

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by david q, Aug 30, 2012.

1. david q

david q Member

Using android os as a OS in PD8 how do you get android market (play store)?

2. digitalc

digitalc Bit poster

Were you able to get your network to work? I was unable to do so...

Brad

3. BJG

BJG Bit poster

I have network but no way to install apps

The Android VM shows no wifi, but it IS connected to the network, through an emulated ethernet, I think.

I can go to the browser and get to any website.

BUT I can't figure out how to get apps to the "device" since there is no Google Play or a way to copy an apk file over to it.

Any advice?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Browser: https://play.google.com/store

You won't be able to install any software simply because teh Parallels VM is not licensed as a device from Google and is not recognized as a valid device to install apps to.

If you have the .apk put in a webserver and access via the browser.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. Omnidextrous

Omnidextrous Bit poster

You CAN install apps on it, just not using the Android Market / Google Play site. There are numerous better sites to install apps from, like http://mobilestore.opera.com/, http://www.miui.com/index.php or http://wandoujia.com/.

My favorite way is to just download the .apk file from somewhere, mount the android disk image using the "Parallels Mounter" (just right-click on the file) and then put the .apk directly in /android-2012-07-20/data/media/Download

Then you can just install the file from within the Android VM by using the "Downloads" icon.

6. The4Noobz

The4Noobz Bit poster

Apps on parallels andriod

I'm an app developer and am wondering if I can test my andriod app on a parallels vm. This would help me a lot.

7. AdamM_uk

AdamM_uk Bit poster

8. LN3000

LN3000 Bit poster

You're trying to open the pvm, you'll need to right click and select "Show Package Contents" to find the .hdd, and then you can right click on Android 4-0.hdd and Open With Parallels Mounter. :)

9. AdamM_uk

AdamM_uk Bit poster

...actually I was opening the .hdd, not the .pvm. I get the same error doing either in fact.

Thx,
    Adam

10. LN3000

LN3000 Bit poster

Are you opening the top-level hdd, or are you further opening the one within that? (There's like two levels, but you need to open the top-level .hdd rather than the one within that file. Took me a bit to see that.)

11. DavidSuth

DavidSuth Bit poster

can we get an update on this from an official rep?

12. hbrendel

hbrendel Bit poster

Yes PLEASE

13. Omnidextrous

Omnidextrous Bit poster

Or just copy the Play Store apk from a real Android device and install it inside the Parallels Android installation. Just make sure the Play Store isn't newer than the Android version in Parallels. Once you have it installed, you can install anything you like (assuming it will run on this old Android 4.0 version).

But I still prefer to just use DropBox. Save the APK from the Play Store using the Google Chrome Extension, drop it in DropBox and then run DropBox inside the virtual Android. Works like a charm. :)

PS: Don't forget you also need a good virus scanner once you get into this unsafe Android world. I installed Avast, which is working okay.

Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 15.42.04.png

14. auros

auros Bit poster

Is this topic still active? I've been able to create my Android VM, and I got the app I wanted to try out (the "Doctor Who: Legacy" game) onto it by uploading the .apk to Dropbox and then downloading it through the browser. (I also had to enable installation of apps from the settings, obviously, but that wasn't hard.)

When I try to launch the app, the screen switches to portrait mode for a moment (with the back, home, and windows buttons shifting over to the right side, rather than reorienting the window), and then the VM goes back to the desktop. When I look in the "recent apps" view, I can see a black rectangle marked as being the DWL app, but trying to bring it into focus just causes the same effect again. Is this just because the whole Android thing on Parallels is kind of a beta product, and graphics-intensive apps like games are likely to fail? Or could there be some basic thing I've missed, that need to enable to make it work?

Thanks,
    Auros

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Neither, probably the app is not compatible with the Android version running in the VM? Requires some specific hardware support, maybe 3D accel.? Or, it doesn't run on the x86/x64 platform.

16. linhpham

linhpham Bit poster

try, I've done

17. ThomasG4

ThomasG4 Bit poster

Same Problem here... I'd like to install the Google Play Store in the VM!? Any advice which version of the .apk to use?

18. AsdasdadB

AsdasdadB Bit poster

You can't install any software, and connect in any other ways to other storage. It's really buggy software.
    Parallels is good only for windows 7.

19. arakana

arakana Bit poster

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019