Parallels 8 Installer or 7 Uninstaller hangs : sudo lsregsiter with user=Guest

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by xmd, Aug 31, 2012.

1. xmd

xmd Junior Member

Having terrible problems trying to either install or uninstall parallels 8, as an upgrade from version 7.
    MacBookPro8,2 running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

The issue: when installing parallels 8, or running the uninstaller from parallels 7, the install (or uninstall) freezes about 10% through. Checking Activity monitor, I see a process "lsregister" that's sitting there at 100% CPU. Let the computer sit for an hour, nothing changes.

Checking Console.log I see something weird:

8/31/12 6:46:14 AM sudo[6134] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 7/Uninstall.app/Contents/MacOS ; USER=Guest ; COMMAND=/bin/sh -c '/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister' -dump | grep -B3 'com.parallels.pkg.virtualization.hidhook' | sed -n "s,^.*path:.*\(/Users/Guest\),\1,gp;s,^.*path:.*\(/Applications\),\1,gp"

And indeed, the lsregister process that's showing up in Activity Monitor is listed as User=Guest.

This doesn't seem right : why would a sudo process be running as user "Guest"? That makes no sense, and is probably causing the hang.

Note: I did have the OS X "guest login" enabled, but I tried disabling that and it doesn't change anything.

I'm now totally hosed : multiple reboots, multiple attempts at running the installers (or uninstallers) for either Parallels 7 or 8 - always hanging with the lsregister running at 100%.

2. xmd

xmd Junior Member

Ugly workaround

I discovered a workaround - if you open a terminal window and execute:

sudo killall lsregister

about 15 times in a row, the installer will continue and seems to work ok.

googling for others with this issue, it looks like something has gone awry with my shell or sudo environment?

I've never mucked around with this manually, so I wonder if some other app I installed screwed this up...?

3. KenDor

KenDor Bit poster

Worked for me too! Thank you for posting solution.

I don't believe you screwed anything up - I certainly didn't. I was upgrading from Parallels 8 to Parallels 9 (G5 running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and the Installer hung, as you say, left it running overnight, but no progress. Attempted installing again a few times after that - but, still same result. Discovered your Terminal 'fix' (workaround) for the lsregister process. Also entered several times and, hey presto(!), installer completed in minutes.

Thank you for taking the time to post your "Ugly Workaround" solution - I was getting extremely frustrated. I hadn't had any installation issues on my MacBook Pro 15" (running OS X Lion 10.7.5) or Mac Mini Server (running OS X Mavericks 10.9).

4. OhadSP

OhadSP Bit poster

See also this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790
    It didn't help me though...
    The ugly workaround that did work was upgrading to OS X Yosemite. Only then, the Parallels installer was able to uninstall the previous version of Parallels and install Parallels 9.