Parallels tools on Windows 7 with PD8 Mac Breaks Windows Book

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Jason1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jason1

Jason1 Bit poster

PD 8 MAC
    Windows 7

After installing parallels tools Windows 7 gets stuck on Welcome screen after login. I fixed this by running Startup Repair. I tried reinstalling parallels tools, but again the same problem.

What now?

2. TeganL

TeganL Bit poster

PD8 with Windows 7 stuck on Welcome screen

I'm having the same issue. Can't get past the Welcome screen for some reason. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

3. Jason1

Jason1 Bit poster

To get past it you need to fix the boot, this is how

1) Stop the VM while Windows 7 is stuck at the Welcome screen
    2) Reboot and select safe mode, while booting stop the VM again
    3) Reboot and select the repair start-up option. This starts windows and starts the repair.

Once repair is complete it should reboot and then you have Windows 7 working again. The only problem is that you don't have parallel tools because whatever it parallels tools install does it screws up the boot startup.

Until Parallels provides an update to the parallels tools PD8 for Mac I think we have to wait.

4. JoacimB

JoacimB Junior Member

Had the same problem. Ended up ditching W7 and install a fresh copy of W8, where everything worked as expected.

/J

5. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

6. Jason1

Jason1 Bit poster

Reproduced the problem and generated the report as requested. The id is 17971912

7. dbozard

dbozard Bit poster

Fixed...Sort of

I kept having this same issue with my Windows 7 Professional installed on Parallels 8 (on MacBook Pro 2011). My VM was connected to a domain, however, I was only able to log into a local username, rather than my domain roaming profile.

What worked for me:
    1) Log in as a local administrator account
    2) Click Start Icon
    3) Click Control Panel
    4) Click Programs & Features
    5) Uninstall Parallel Tools (after uninstall is completed, VM will restart)
    6) Now try logging into roaming domain username (mine let me in)

It seems the Parallel Tools program was causing an issue. I was able to reinstall Parallel Tools after I managed to log back in (requires a restart as well), and it gave me no issues...allowed me to log in even with a necessary restart.

***Side Note: The next day, my VM/Windows 7 had to restart for another program I installed and I ran into the issue above again. I had to repeat all the steps to be able to login into my roaming domain username. I may just forgo using Parallel Tools as convenient as they may seem to be.

8. jester999

jester999 Bit poster

Is there any update for this yet?

I have also been encountering this issue since I upgraded my PD7 to PD8.

In the past I have been reverting to a snapshot from before Tools was updated.

However, to access some new Volumes on my Mac from within my virtual Win7 build, I need to update my Parallels Tools to access the shared volumes.

Is there any update for this issue?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  9. dbozard

dbozard Bit poster

I have yet to find a solution. I am currently still not using the Parallel Tools so that I can log into my domain.

10. jester999

jester999 Bit poster

I have got Tools installed and everything working.

I followed the instructions here http://kb.parallels.com/8969 to uninstall and reinstall Tools.

I tried all of the methods, reverting to a snapshot when the screen stuck on the welcome page, but my final test succeeded!

I uninstalled my antivirus and firewall (Comodo Internet Security) and also followed the final method (Uninstall Tools, delete the C:\program files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools folder, delete everything in %temp% and empty the recycle bin, go into msconfig and disable all services except Microsoft and Parallels ones.

After the reboot, I reinstalled PT from the menu and Windows 7 booted normally. So I am now reinstalling my Antivirus software and re-enabling my services in msconfig.

Am very happy to get it working as it was a pain stopping the Tools upgrade every time I rebooted....

Hope this helps and good luck fixing your issues

11. dbozard

dbozard Bit poster

Fixed!

Thanks jester999. Your steps worked for me. All is well with PT installed. Thanks again!