How to get BootCamp XP partition into Parallels 8?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by figure1a, Sep 15, 2012.

1. figure1a

figure1a Bit poster

I have a 2010 MBP Unibody running 10.6 with BootCamp and Windows XP on it. My new MBP Retina has 10.8 and apparently BootCamp no longer supports XP. But I now have Parallels. How can I take that old XP BootCamp Partition and copy it to my new MBP-R and run it under Parallels? I don't want to do a fresh install of XP in Parallels because there are so many updates and customized software on my XP volume that I don't want to have to go through again. Is there an easy way to do this?

2. strells

strells Product Expert

One of the Migrate options should work for you. Either have the old machine running in Boot Camp and migrate over a network connection or put the old machine into target disk mode and do it that way.

Steve

3. figure1a

figure1a Bit poster

Thanks. Went that route. It was kind of clusterfuck but eventually I got what I needed. Was just hoping there was a way to activate and existing volume in Parallels without having to install the XP again. FYI, when you migrate, it copies all your folders, settings, etc. but not the OS. So, OS needs to be installed and some drivers. Got it done eventually!