Parallels 8: Unable to change the virtual machines permissions

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bgerson, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bgerson

bgerson Bit poster

Parallels 8.0.18101 running under Macintosh OS X 10.8.1.

I would like to have the Parallels Virtual Machines folder on an external drive as the boot drive is approaching its limits. I copied the Parallels folder to another drive and set the preference in Parallels 8 to use that folder.

When I attempt to start that VM, I get the following error:

"Unable to change the virtual machine permissions.

Parallels Desktop cannot set the required permissions for one or more objects in the virtual machine folder. Contact the Parallels support team for assistance."

Before I do contact support, I am hoping that someone here has an easy-to-implement solution.

Thank you,

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Do a Get Info on your VM's .pvm file on the external disk and make sure the permissions are set to allow you to read and write to it.

Steve

3. bgerson

bgerson Bit poster

Thanks, Steve, but that was one of the first things I checked. I spent some more time on this and then contacted Parallels support. They spent two hours in a LogMeIn Rescue session dicking around only to confirm my exactly what I had told them the error was. They were stumped.

It turns out that the VM was corrupt. I used Parallels to Import the current VM and now I have a working setup.

Bruce