Immediate Crash on MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by prototype1010, Oct 2, 2012.

1. prototype1010

prototype1010 Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro with retina display and am trying to install parallels 8.0.18101.797180 and it is crashing immediately when I click the installer. The proportions of the icons when I double click the dmg are also way too big.

Crash Log:

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Can you please send the Problem report from Help--> Report a Problem

3. prototype1010

prototype1010 Bit poster

I already deleted the DMG but I submitted that crash report when it happened.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thanks, i have forwarded this information to our developers, but they might ask for some additional details

5. prototype1010

prototype1010 Bit poster

Great, thanks!

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

In order to investigate the issue further Parallels Maintenance Team has requested core dump.

To collect core dump you will need one more Mac connected to the one that experiences Kernel Panics. Here are instructions on how to collect Core Dump and upload it to our FTP share.

To get core dumps from the Mac that experiences Kernel Panics, you will need to enable this Mac to send core-dumps to the Kernel Core Dump Server and use a second Mac as a Kernel Core Dump Server on the same network. Each Mac should be connected with the Ethernet cable.

1. Second Mac (Core Dump Server) should be configured this way:

Open Terminal application (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal ) and insert following commands one by one and after each one press Return.
    NOTE: You will be asked for your password, but you will not see it while typing for security reasons.

sudo mkdir /PanicDumps
    sudo chown root:wheel /PanicDumps
    sudo chmod 1777 /PanicDumps
    sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.kdumpd.plist

2. The Mac which crashes should be configured this way:

2.1. Open Terminal application (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal )

2.2. Use the following command to enable kernel core dumps:
    sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd44 _panicd_ip=your_kdump_server_ip_address"

NOTE2: 'your_kdump_server_ip_address' should be replaced with the IP address of the Mac configured as Kernel Core Dump Server For example, if your second Mac has the IP 192.168.0.10 the command will look like this:

sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd44 _panicd_ip=192.168.0.10"

NOTE3: You will be asked to enter your password as well.

2.3. Reboot the Mac which crashes to activate the previous command.

NOTE: Please print these instructions from File ► Print browser menu for your convenience

After reproducing panic on the crashing Mac, you will see a progress on sending dump to the server (white dots on black background). Please do not interrupt the process.

3. As soon as the crashed Mac reboots, the core dump could be found in the directory Macintosh HD -> PanicDumps on your second Mac serving as Kernel Core Dump Server.
    It would be large enough, so you cannot send it via e-mail or attach to the support ticket.

Please follow instructions described in the below mentioned KB article to upload the dump to our server using below mentioned FTP share:
    KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9082
    FTP share: Please let me know when the dump is ready.

After crash dump was uploaded and there is no need to use second Mac as Kernel Core Dump Server, you can disable crash dump service with the following command:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.kdumpd.plist

Please kindly provide us with requested information if possible, we are looking forward to your reply.

7. prototype1010

prototype1010 Bit poster

I'd like to help out but there are 3 problems with this
    1) I have a retina macbook pro with no ethernet jak
    2) I only have 1 mac
    3) Parallels is crashing not causing a kernel panic

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

there are adapters available for Retina MBP ethernet to USB. And it is ok that you don't have kernel panic. We still need dump i'm afraid