Ubuntu 12.10 stuck on small display

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by dankell, Oct 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dankell

dankell Bit poster

Have upgraded to 12.10 and am now stuck with the display on 800x600

I've upgraded the Parallels Tools (using terminal mode) but no joy on display

Any suggestions?

2. azlobo73

azlobo73 Bit poster

Here too..

A shout out to the early and often upgraders!

3. HeshamW

HeshamW Bit poster

Hopefully gets fixed soon...

I hope this gets fixed really soon. So Parallels 8 makes no difference right? I'm still on 7.

4. Xaxxon

Xaxxon Junior Member

+1
    (no parallels 8 doesn't have this yet)

5. ElgsC

ElgsC Bit poster

After upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 in Parallels 8. Ubuntu 12.10 hangs. The mouse cursor cannot move.

6. Simba Cub

Simba Cub Member

Manually set it up - do not go down the speedy setup route. That should fix the problem.

That being said, I am not impressed with the speed at which 12.10 runs. I've afforded the system 2 cores and 4GB RAM, but it's still sluggish, especially compared to 12.04.

On the upside, the wallpaper is prettier :)

Rich::

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  7. dankell

dankell Bit poster

Simba - what do you mean?

I had a working 12.04 install and chose to Upgrade in Update Manager - what over method is there?

8. Simba Cub

Simba Cub Member

I've had hiccups in the past with Update Manager, so in this case I just wiped, downloaded and did a fresh install. Luckily I didn't have tonnes of irreplaceable files on it!

Rich::

9. MalB

MalB Junior Member

Created a new instance to trial ....

.... got same issue after installing Parallels Tools ... only 800 X 600 screen resolution available.

I should point out I am running Parallels 8 and downloaded / installed from the iso

10. MostTornBrain

MostTornBrain Bit poster

Need updated Parallel Tools

Looks like the prlvideo driver needs to be rebuilt for Ubuntu 12.10. Ubuntu 12.10 is using X version 1.13 and the latest Parallels prlvideo driver is built for 1.12. Same goes for the mouse driver, which is why automousing no longer works.

Under Ubuntu 12.10, the Parallels install script doesn't copy over any drivers because they are the wrong version. I tried unpacking the tar file by hand and copying the prlvideo.so file to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, but get the following error when X starts (seen in /var/log/Xorg.0.log):

[ 9.929] (II) LoadModule: "prlvideo"
    [ 9.929] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so
    [ 9.930] (II) Module prlvideo: vendor="Parallels Inc."
    [ 9.930] compiled for 1.12.0, module version = 2.0.0
    [ 9.930] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [ 9.930] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 12.0
    [ 9.930] (EE) module ABI major version (12) doesn't match the server's versi
    on (13)
    [ 9.930] (II) UnloadModule: "prlvideo"
    [ 9.930] (II) Unloading prlvideo
    [ 9.930] (EE) Failed to load module "prlvideo" (module requirement mismatch,
    0)

Seems we need updated tools from Parallels that are specifically targeting 1.13.

My next attempt will be to see if it is possible to roll Ubuntu 12.10 back to using X version 1.12 rather than 1.13, but I doubt this will work, I suspect a lot of other things will break.

Cheers.

11. paraNix

paraNix Member

Has anyone found an official fix from Parallels yet? This release has been many months coming, and it has been known for some time that 12.10 uses x 1.13?

12. Tambo Man

Tambo Man Bit poster

Same here, looks like we wait.

13. paraNix

paraNix Member

Those lucky VMware users :-\ , I just found a page with new custom clients tools that allows 12.10 to work properly in VMware 4/5.

14. runnermule

runnermule Bit poster

Same problem. Unresponsive. Can't do anything. No functional interactive way to get to a command prompt in the Ubuntu 12.10 VM. Parallels 7 on Max OS X 10.7.5.

15. mvcl

mvcl Bit poster

me too. If I click in the VM's window, the mouse and keyboard move nothing. I can only press ctrl-alt to release the keyboard and mouse.

16. paraNix

paraNix Member

Ubuntu is by many counts the most "popular" consumer Linux OS distro. It could seem that Parallels is not concerned with the new distribution working for the MANY of us that use Parallels to boot/test Ubuntu... :-(

17. egorFiNE

egorFiNE Bit poster

Disable irqbalanced - speed will increase tenfold.

18. gmp72

gmp72 Bit poster

Tools is the problem !

The issue with the resolution in ubuntu 12.10 relates to the parallells tools.
    I did a brand new installation of Ubuntu 12.10 and the resolution was perfect.
    I installed parallels tools and the resolution was stuck in 800x600 !
    I then un-installed parallels tools and the resolution fixed itself again.

It seem like the tools need fixing ....

19. RomanA

RomanA Bit poster

Same problem here with Kubuntu 12.10...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  20. MalB

MalB Junior Member

Given the panicky email and Forum message about Windows 8 upgrades trashing VMs I would imagine their very best developers have their focus elsewhere atm, and lil' ole UBUNTU isn't gonna get much of a look in :(