Netflix app in Windows 8 crashes with "windows graphic driver update required"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EmmanuelH, Oct 20, 2012.

1. EmmanuelH

EmmanuelH Bit poster

I'm trying the new Netflix Windows 8 app in Parallels but when I start the video I get -

I'm running -

Mac OS X 10.8.2
    Parallels 8
    Windows 8 Professional RTM

Is there a workaround?
    Or is an update to Parallels 8 coming soon to fix this issue? It looks like Parallels needs to provide a graphics driver "that is signed by the windows hardware quality lab (WHQL)".

The reason I upgraded to Parallels 8 is precisely to get Windows 8 and its apps to work properly.

2. James Beaumont

James Beaumont Junior Member

Same problem, running with:
    Mac OS X 10.8.2
    Parallels 7
    Windows 8 Professional RTM

Anyone know how to fix this?

3. EmmanuelH

EmmanuelH Bit poster

Videos on flash, e.g. youtube on chrome, work without problems.
    Not sure why the Netflix app is complaining.

Anyone from Parallels could give us an idea if this will be fixed?

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

We're aware of the issue. For now you can use Netflix from desktop version of IE (it will install Silverlight first).

5. moneyman76542

moneyman76542 Bit poster

Not only Netflix, but Hulu app is affected too!

Not only is Netflix affected, but Hulu app on Windows 8 app store is affected too. It has something to do with the parallels video driver

Attached Files:

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Bit poster

I must be missing something here, why would you want to use Windows Apps when the Mac can handle both of these just fine?

Bottom line is anything the Mac can do natively, I let it do natively and anything that it can't, I use Windows for (and there is very little that is not available for the Mac natively).

7. bobpenn

bobpenn Junior Member

It isn't so much that we "need" to view Netflix and Hulu Plus in Win8, but it IS an issue which should be addressed. Also, it's possible that the Win8 experience of Netflix may be better than running it in a Safari window. I suppose I just want to see for myself.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

The "issue" is far beyond Parallels technical capabilities. Both Netflix and hulu use Microsoft DRM framework to protect video. Since Vista, content protection in Windows goes to insane depths to prevent access to video data at various stages of decoding and display. Among other measures, graphics drivers are required to encrypt video signals to display and data passing through PCIe bus. Compliance to content protection requirements is supported by appropriate legal agreements. There's no possible way a VM (where complete virtualized memory is easily accessible) could satisfy basic content protection.
    Fortunately, Netflix still works in Windows 8 in desktop version of IE10. Better yet, native OS X Silverlight plugin exists, that enables Netflix viewing in Safari.
    Alternatively, iTunes store may have the same content in a more convenient format.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  9. bobpenn

bobpenn Junior Member

Thanks for the explanation. It's no big deal regarding Netflix and Hulu Plus, as I would likely never actually watch them in Windows 8 via Parallels anyway! But, for the record, there is no native Netflix OSX app I could find in the app store or via a Google search (other than a 3rd party attempt). There is, of course, an iOS app.

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

Oops, I was wrong about native OS X app. What I should have said is that there's Silverlight plugin for Safari that enables Netflix in OS X. Edited my post above.