no internet connection parallels 8 upgrade windows 8

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by pwned5G, Oct 28, 2012.

1. pwned5G

pwned5G Bit poster

I have a 2012 macbook air 13" I5 4gB ram 128GB running osx mountain lions latest as of today
    had parallels 8 trial with windows XP service pack 3 installed, internet OK! I upgraded to windows 8 paying 39.99.
    after upgrading to windows 8 I had no internet connection, after hours of research this is my fix!
    1. click virtual machine , then reinstall parallels tools
    2. windows popped up a message (it was on the right side something about mount dvd or something I clicked on where it popped up but missed it the first time so I did step one again and this time I was faster to click on the pop up in windows 8 right top side)
    3. after clicking on pop up I followed instructions on windows hit yes I believe to install parallels tools
    4. it restarted and the problem fixed
    hope this helps someone or maybe a more detailed account can be given by a more learned person! haha
    I hate when something this simple isn't more easily available in help topics!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. LoaderP

LoaderP Bit poster

Thanks! Worked for me also.

3. dengosha

dengosha Bit poster

I was going crazy for two long days trying to get Parallels 8 and Windows 8 to connect to the internet. Then just by chance I reinstalled Parallels Tools and lo and behold I got my connection to my Airport Extreme. More people should know about this simple fix. We both came on it with some luck? I just wanted to confirm what you said--wish I had read your post 48 long hours ago.

4. MarkRW

MarkRW Bit poster

Amazing!! Thank you :)

5. winnjr

winnjr Bit poster

Thanks, this worked for me as well (OSX 10.8.2, Parallels 8, upgraded from XP to Windows 7). Once I reinstalled Parallels Tools and rebooted, I was good to go.

6. winnjr

winnjr Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

7. ascender

ascender Bit poster

Yes, Parallels Tools reinstall solved my network connection issue (I use Airport Extreme for my router). A new issue arose once the internet connection was established: Internet Explorer was opening in newly-created Spaces (beyond the limit of 16 Spaces), and I couldn't access them: they would immediately disappear. This was resolved by Control Panel/Display (or Screen Resolution) where I disabled the use of my second monitor (laptop). Now with only one display, the browser works correctly, and I was able to use the internet. Along the way, Rama of Parallels tech was a patient help.

8. Aushiker

Aushiker Bit poster

Thanks for sharing. Still works a treat nearly two years later :)

Andrew