Turn OFF Windows 8 Password Expiration

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JacquelineK, Nov 14, 2012.

1. JacquelineK

JacquelineK Bit poster

Does anyone know how to turn off Windows 8 password expiration? Please note I do not want to remove the password entirely. I don't trust windows at all, I want the password to remain. I'm just tired of it telling me I have to change it whenever it thinks I need to.

2. VicReyesJr

VicReyesJr Bit poster

Hi, in order to turn off Windows password expiration, please refer to the instructions outlined below.

1) Start your Windows 8 virtual machine.
    2) Open the Run command box on Windows 8. (Please refer to this website on how to access the run command on Windows 8: http://www.chasingeyes.com/how-to-run-command-prompt-in-windows-8.html
    3) Type the following words in run box.
    control userpasswords2
    4) Click on Advanced tab in the user account.
    5) Click on Advanced button in the Advanced user management window and it will open Local User and Group.
    6) Double click the Users Folder in the Local User and Group.
    7) Select your username on the lists and right click > select Properties
    8) It will open another window, click on General tab and check the option of Password never expires.
    9) Click on Apply and then click on OK button.

I hope this helps. Thank you

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. JacquelineK

JacquelineK Bit poster

Thank you!

Thank you so much, that's exactly the answer i needed. Thanks again :)

4. LouisVH

LouisVH Bit poster

What if the "Local User and Group" is disabled as it is in my version of Windows 8?
    Where the "Users" folder should be in my version of Windows 8 I get:

"This snapin may not be used with this edition of Windows 8. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel"

I tried using the control panel, but I can not find anything there with respect to password expiration

Edit: I figured it out myself. Apparently you can't do that on standard Windows 8. I just created a virtual machine with Windows 8 Enterprise and I can do it there. The need of all these different editions of Windows is beyond me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. OK, I have the basic edition of Windows 8 and, as the poster above notes, changes cannot be made through the run command, but rather using the mess that Windows calls PC Settings. I have found no way to enable this option. A user above went to a Enterprise partition to make it happen. Is this just another gotcha from Windows?