How to disable window shadows in PDfM 8 Coherence mode?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by oTab42, Nov 27, 2012.

1. oTab42

oTab42 Bit poster

There used to be a preference for disabling window shadows in the coherence mode (around the PD5 timeframe, I think). Now it seems to be gone. Is this still possible? If so, how?

Also, is there a way to disable the lion-like window zooming of apps and their windows?

I ask because I've run into a case where I'm almost positive that either the shadowing or the zooming is causing extreme trouble with using the combination of Visual Studio 2010 and Resharper 7.1 in Coherence mode (the whole VS2010 app freezes for 60 seconds or so when using the Resharper navigate to type feature, and it only happens in Coherence).

I'd really like to be able to disable the shadowing and zooming pieces of UI flashy-stuff. Anyone got any ideas for me?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

you cannot disable shadows i'm afraid. can you please explain in more details what exact zooming are you talking about?

3. oTab42

oTab42 Bit poster

Why on earth would the developers remove the ability to configure something? As a developer, that makes little sense to me. *shrug*

As to the zooming I'm talking about:

When PD7 launched, one of its new touted features was "OS X Lion-style animations when opening new Windows programs windows in Coherence."

In practice, that meant that apps launched with a center-out zooming animation. As do all dialog boxes, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, this behavior is still present in PD8.

I'd like to disable that. I just want to launch the app and don't care about silly animation effects. Especially when those silly animation effects seemingly are causing me a large performance problem in actually using the app.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. juzci

juzci Guest

oTab42,
    we've reproduced the issue and currently investigating it, thank you. Will keep you updated.

5. KarimB

KarimB Bit poster

I second that

The center screen zoom is quite counter-productive and sometimes causes dialogs to loose their z-order. Please disable the zoom by default in coherence or give us an option to turn it off. Thanks.

6. GoYachting

GoYachting Bit poster

Please provide an option to disable this animated zoom by user.
    It is not really bug-free, - it zoms everything, including drop-ups, pop-ups, etc..
    I've bought Parallels for using serios tools with multiple windows and work in Clearence is becoming quite annoying.

7. begray

begray Bit poster

Any update on this? This seems to be the only and critical issue, that prevents me from using VS & Resharper with Coherence. And using it in windowed/fullscreen is not so much fun.

8. begray

begray Bit poster

For all the fellow developers who will probably find this thread using search engines.
    I've filed a support ticket for it and received typical, but not so much useful answer: development team is aware of this issue and will probably fix it or provide a workaround, but they've got no information when.

Let's hope this will happen sooner, than later. In the mean time you may want to request support about this issue too, this is the only way to increase issue priority for development, that comes to my mind.

9. begray

begray Bit poster

Somewhat good news: it's bearable in PD9, suggest window still lags (and displays violet panels sometimes), but total hang up time was reduced to ~1 second.

10. AmithG

AmithG Bit poster

Any updates on this? Using the latest Parallels and Windows 8.1, Resharper performance is horrible while in Coherence mode. It works perfectly in Fullscreen mode.

11. begray

begray Bit poster

+1

Although I'm almost used to fullscreen mode, but lost of focus during window switch (from mac application to visual studio inside fullscreen vm, you need to explicitly click into vm) sometimes makes me sick.

12. JWSadler

JWSadler Bit poster

Is there any resolution on this?