Corrupting permissions on external drive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bitsltd, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Bitsltd

Bitsltd Bit poster

These problems have now been seen on 4 systems.
    System configuration:
    Parallels installed in Applications on root drive
    Virtual systems on other drives mounted in the /Volumes folder
    The Problem:
    Guest operating system will not start or not found.
    Permission problems (ex: programs using that drive will not work, sharing not working)
    The Cause:
    The virtual machine locks up, usually ending in a Parallels forced quit, but not always (the forced quit).
    The Fixes:
    Several things are happening that you will have to use terminal to fix.
    You will need to enable the root user (in bing, search enable root user osx 10.x, where x is your version).
    (Google has started tracking what you do after you leave there site by passing the linked site through Google, slowing everything down, bing does not do the (yet))

First, in terminal, type:
    ls -le /
    Look in the list for Volumes, mine looked like this:
    drwxrwxrwt@ 2 root admin 68 Feb 26 2011 Volumes
    com.apple.FinderInfo 32
    0: group:everyone deny add_file,add_subdirectory,directory_inherit,only_inherit
    drwxr-xr-x@ 39 root wheel 1326 Feb 26 2011 bin
    In this case, Parallels added the acl, group:everyone deny ...
    This stopped networks users from being able to see any folders any drives other than the root drive.
    The fix, in terminal:
    sudo chmod -N /Volumes

Second, in terminal, type:
    ls -l /Volumes
    Look for files with with the same name except one has a 1 after it and the other has a "-" where a "d" should be , like below
    -rwxrwxr-x 38 root admin 170 Dec 15 12:52 Image
    drwxrwxr-x 38 root admin 1360 Dec 12 10:33 Image 1
    If you have this,the fix, in terminal, type, but replacing "Image" with the name of your drive, if you name has a space in it use quotes (ex: "my drive"):
    sudo rm -R Image
    Now in Utilities->Disk Utility, unmount and than mount the drive.
    Check in terminal again that the name no longer has the 1 in it.

Third, , in terminal, type:
    ls -le /Volumes
    Look for any acl's, they start with a number followed by a colon, for example, like above.
    0: group:everyone deny add_file,add_subdirectory,directory_inherit,only_inherit
    Mounted drive do not have ACLs (unless you put them there, but why).
    The fix, in terminal type, but replacing "Image" with the name of your drive, if you name has a space in it use quotes (ex: "my drive"):
    sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Images

After this, the system should work again, but the Parallels virtual machine will not. If you want to try and fix it, control click (or right click) the virtual machine and select Show Package Contents. Look for files with the name ending in .lock or files with a 0 size and try to remove them. Also try using Time Machine to restore and older version. After that, I have tried using the Import functions in other programs to import and run the machines with some luck. I am not willing to take the chance for running Parallels again, I just deinstall it, until there is a fix.

Bruce