VM will not take DHCP reservation

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EricCaruso, Jan 3, 2013.

1. EricCaruso

EricCaruso Bit poster

No matter what I do the xp vm(using Parrellels 7) that I have installed on my mac (mountain Lion) will not grab the DHCP reservation assigned to it. I am using Bridged networking (the default adapter) and my connection is stable and reliable. I have it set to automatically get an ip address, and to automatically recognize the DHCP Server. We are using a windows server 2003 box as the dhcp. On a normal physical install of an xp box a simple ipconfig /release and /renew will get it to grab the newly assigned ip address. But on these vm's I am not having any luck. This issue is happening on 2 macs with xp vm's one using parallels 7 and the other using parallels 8. Both Macs grab their respective ip addresses just fine.

It is interesting that the vm always grabs the same ip address, even if I go into the DHCP and delete the lease then do a release/renew on the vm.

Any suggestions?

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Eric,

You can try to limit the DHCP scope in Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Advanced. Does it help?

3. Bulldog56

Bulldog56 Bit poster

Same Issue - Parallels 9, Mavericks, Windows 8 VM

I have the same issue running Parallels 9, Mavericks, windows 8 VM and a router based DHCP server.

4. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Bit poster

I' having issues with this too! I prefer to reserve IP addresses in the DHCP server as it makes network management a little easier. My Mac has a reserved IP and it works fine, but the VM will not work with a reservation.

I have spent a lot of time on this. Hopefully someone from Parallels support will see it and get it back to the devs.

When using Bridged networking for the VM, it will contact the DHCP server on the network for an IP. In my case, it is the router. If there are no reservations for the VM, all is well (whether or not the Mac is using a reserved IP).

Now, look at the DHCP table, all appears well. It shows the correct IP & MAC Addresses for both the host Mac and the VM. BUT... the ARP Cache Table on the router shows both IP addresses belong to the host Mac's MAC address. The VM's MAC address is not visible in the ARP Cache table. I don't quite understand the technical details of how and why but I am guessing this is the root of the problem.

Please help!

Thanks in advance

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi.
    It is due to the nature of the bridging to WiFi. VM must use the host's hardware address. And DHCP-server uses the DHCP-Client-ID to distinguish VM from Host.
    I'm not sure whether your router allows to configure static lease assignment via DHCP Client ID.

As a workaround you can try to assign static address in VM and reserve this address in router's leases. VM will not ask router for IP, but router will know that this address is reserved and will not give it to anyone else.