Can't Get Win7 Program on Dock

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JAtkinson, Jan 21, 2013.

1. JAtkinson

JAtkinson Bit poster

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting a Windows 7 program on my dock. When I launch it, it doesn't show up in the dock, so I can't select "keep in dock". When I locate the EXE in explorer on the mac, it won't let me drag it onto the applications area of the dock. I can add it to the files area on the dock next to the trash, which tells me that it's mis-identifying it as a file. I try anyway, but when I click the icon in the dock, it launches what appears to be Windows Media Player instead.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Jonathan

2. HowardR

HowardR Bit poster

I am also seeing the same problem with some Windows programs since I upgraded to Mavericks. I then upgraded to Parallels 9 hoping that might solve the problem, but it does not, Parallels staff/experts, please help.

Thanks and regards
    Howard

3. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi HowardR,

Re-install Parallels Tools by following all steps@ http://kb.parallels.com/8969

You can also add Windows application folder to dock by following: http://kb.parallels.com/6861

Thanks,
    Looran

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. HowardR

HowardR Bit poster

Hi Looran,

Thank you for your response. I un-installed and re-installed Parallels per the link you supplied and the problem still persists. I still have some Windows program's Icons that do not show up in the dock when they are running, while others do. This makes switching to the prgram since they do not show in the dock. Also, as Jonathan indicates, it is then not possible to add them permanently to the dock since they do not show up in the dock.

Your second link does not help with this problem, I have it enabled and can find all the Windows programs via that folder, my problem is not finding the program, but knowing that it is running by seeing it in the dock.

Thanks and regards,
    Howard

Your second link does not allow me to

5. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi HowardR,

Please follow all steps outlined on the article below to add icons of Windows application to dock:

http://kb.parallels.com/114864

Thanks,
    Looran

6. Magyk5

Magyk5 Bit poster

I am having a similar issue but it does not involve all applications, only one.

I have been running Parallels 9 for a little while and my Microsoft Outlook has been sitting happily in my dock whether I was in coherence mode or windowed mode. Last week it disappeared from the dock and I cannot get it to show up again. It is the only application that does not show up in the dock, everything else works fine.

Any ideas on how to recover this item back into the dock?

7. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

8. Magyk5

Magyk5 Bit poster

That KB article applies to not having the applications folder in the dock. I have that folder in the dock, I see the open windows applications in the dock (red lines indicating the application is from parallels)...Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc....they all show up. The only dock item that I do not see is the Microsoft Outlook 2013 icon.

9. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

10. Magyk5

Magyk5 Bit poster

I repaired the office installation. I removed parallels ability to share windows applications to the mac, closed Parallels and then re-enabled sharing again. I am still not able to get Outlook running in the dock. I can see PowerPoint, Word, Excel...everything except Outlook.

I checked the permissions on the Windows 7, and the Mac, and everything is in order as far as permissions go.

11. Magyk5

Magyk5 Bit poster

I guess the phrase "reboot until it works" applies here....

I had to restart my computer to apply an update and it started working again. This is about the umpteenth time that I have restarted since this problem began, but its working now.

12. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello Magyk5,

We are glad to hear that your issue is resolved. Please let us know if you have any additional queries.