Drive Letters changing from Windows 7 actual installation... breaks links, data acces

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LeslieI, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LeslieI

LeslieI Bit poster

Hi,

I've been using Parallels on and off for years. I just got a new iMac, and upgraded to Parallels 8 on it. I'm using it with my bootcamp partitiion (Windows 7 Pro 64bit). In my actual Windows 7 installation, I link to an external Outlook.pst file (on drive G:) and to client data files (on drive F:). When I start up Parallels Desktop, my Bootcamp installation doesn't show the drives in "Windows Explorer" or "Manage my computer" but you can navigate to them and change the links (after outlook throws a fit, etc.). Yes, I can manually change the drive letters, but then when I run again in actual Bootcamp, without Parallels, Outlook throws a fit, it's all broken again. etc.
    I thought Parallels was professional software... I should be able to setup up drive mapping that's consistent and respects my actual drive mappings in my actual boot camp installation. Otherwise, this is just Hobbyist software.
    Is VMware Fusion this bad? Seriously, it's a deal-breaker for me. I may be looking for a refund for my upgrade expense.

2. JohnEl

JohnEl Bit poster

Parallels 8 problems with Boot camp

When I installed P8 onto my laptop which uses Boot Camp, the upgrade created a second virtual machine (Windows 7 1)
    and all my Windows data and installed programs were lost. Parallels tech support blamed me and said I deleted the info from Boot Camp which also deleted it from Parallels. They did however, get back to where I had only one VM.
    I got a refund.

3. LeslieI

LeslieI Bit poster

Wow! That's alarming! Glad you got a refund!