Guest system bar located beneath Host system bar in Coherence

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by jjwebster, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jjwebster

jjwebster Bit poster

Host: rMBP 15.4", OS X 10.8.2 with external Thunderbolt display
    Guest: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop version 32-bit, gnome desktop (NOT Unity)... and all 3D features are disabled (Gnome classic without effects)
    Parallels: v8, build 18354

The problem is that if I have the displays arranged "top" to "bottom" in Host system preferences, the Guest system bar is located beneath (hidden under) the Host system bar while in Coherence. If all I do is change the arrangement in Host system preferences to "left" and "right", the Guest system bar immediately moves to the correct location just below the Host system bar. However, that is not how my displays are physically arranged. I have contacted technical support and had several back-and-forth discussions, but they are simply dismissing the issue and saying it is a limitation imposed by the Thunderbolt display. Yet, I have tested with another external monitor (Planar LCD) and it behaves identically. EVERYTHING else works fine -- and the Guest windows can be located onto the external display and render just fine.

For what it is worth, using VirtualBox, it works fine. There are other issues with VirtualBox, of course. But this problem is clearly not a limitation of the hardware or Mac OS X software -- it is a BUG in Parallels. It's frustrating that technical support doesn't seem to be interested in addressing it as a bug and is simply dismissive.

I've attached a screenshot of the issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013