Graphic Card upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrP, Mar 6, 2013.

1. KrP

KrP Member

I have come to the realization that I need to improve my graphics card. Currently I have a NVidia GeForce 7300Gt and am told, by a software vendor, I need to have at least a NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX or similar ATI/AMD, with at least 1GB memory.

My question are:

Will Parallels see and use this extra power?

If Parallels can take advantage of the extra performance, how far can I upgrade the graphics card? Say a NVidia 460GTX / ATI 5850 or NVIDIA Quadro K5000? or somewhere between?

I don't seem to have any problems o the Mac side. It's the Windows graphics programs that are the cause for this need to upgrade.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The added power and the added graphic memory will be used by Parallels, but don't forget Windows doesn't 'talk' to the card directly, it always sees a Parallels Graphic Adapter (or similar worded), so it doesn't matter the exact model as long it's supported by the mac side.

So:

Q: Will Parallels see and use this extra power?
    A: Yes

Q: If Parallels can take advantage of the extra performance, how far can I upgrade the graphics card? Say a NVidia 460GTX / ATI 5850 or NVIDIA Quadro K5000? or somewhere between?
    A: Question does not apply

3. KrP

KrP Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does Parallels limit the memory found on the card? The NVIDIA Quadro K5000 boasts 4 gb of memory, but at a cost of $2700. If ALL that memory is not used then a lessor card may be just as good?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can only assign a maximum of 1 GB Video RAM per Virtual Machine.

5. KrP

KrP Member

Thanks,

So a $300 NVidia 460GTX it is.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Btw, if the software requires DirectX 11, Parallels doesn't currently support that even if the card does.