VNC + Parallels = no shift or ctrl?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mackster, Mar 30, 2013.

1. mackster

mackster Bit poster

I am trying to run parallels on a mac which I am accessing over VNC/remote desktop. I am only getting lower case keys.

I've searched and found a lot of old threads about missing shift/ctrl keys, and tried all the suggestions:

* specifically map shift and ctrl in custom mappings
    * enable optimization for gaming
    * Capture all keys under prefs -> system shortcuts -> "Send system shortcuts"

Ideas, or does this not work?

2. KAZUNA

KAZUNA Bit poster

I'm having the exact same problem since I updated to Parallels Desktop 8.0.18483.
    It's been working fine prior updating to 8.0.18483 and it's a regression in the latest update.

Here is my configuration.

- Mac : OS X Mountain Lion + RealVNC 5.0.5 Server + Parallels Desktop 8.0.18483 (Windows 7 as guest)
    - Win : Windows 7 + RealVNC 5.0.5 Client

1. Remote into Mac from Win via VNC.
    2. On remote OS X, confirm all special keys work.
    3. On remote Windows 7 running in remote Parallels Desktop, some special keys don't work at all.

The special keys not working are: Shift, Ctrl, Win (Command), Option (Alt), Caps Lock

3. chalda

chalda Bit poster

I have same problem win realvnc -> mac -> parallels virtual machine = no working shift, ctrl, caps lock, tab in virtual machine.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. KAZUNA

KAZUNA Bit poster

Tried this with Parallels Desktop 9.0.23062 but the result is still the same.

5. KAZUNA

KAZUNA Bit poster

RealVNC 5.0.6 is out but the problem still persists.

6. KAZUNA

KAZUNA Bit poster

The latest software combinations of OS X 10.9.1 + Parallels Desktop 9.0.24172 + RealVNC 5.1.0 still exhibit this problem. Unfortunately...

7. chalda

chalda Bit poster

I have combinations of OS X 10.9.1 + Parallels Desktop 9.0.24172 + RealVNC 5.1.0 still exhibit this problem.
    Correct this problem !!!

8. Ray Konopka

Ray Konopka Member

For what it's worth, I am having the same issue. However, in my situation, I have the same pieces, but things are little different. Specifically, I am using RealVNC from my MacBook Pro to remotely control another MacBook Pro. The remote MacBook Pro is running RealVNC Server 5.0.3. The keyboard works fine when I am working with Mac apps on the remote MacBook. However, when I try to work with a Windows app running in Parallels Desktop 9 the shift key does not get sent along to the VM. By the way, I am running Windows 7 64-bit in the Parallels VM. It certainly looks like the problem is with Parallels.

Ray

9. KAZUNA

KAZUNA Bit poster

The latest combination as of today: OS X 10.9.4 + Parallels Desktop 10.0.2.27712 + RealVNC 5.2.1 no longer exhibits this problem.
    This problem seems fixed in Parallels Desktop 10.

10. Ray Konopka

Ray Konopka Member

That's good news. I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the update.

11. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Hi,

Please check your settings in:

Actions/Virtual machine -> Configure...->Hardware tab -> Mouse & Keyboard -> Keyboard should be set to "Optimize for games"